Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 1.9DTH sportswagon with a gearbox issue, it will drive fine until you accelerate between 60-70 mph and you get a judder, also if you go over 80 mph the gearbox malfunction light comes on, I can clear it by pressing the clear button and the car is fine, another issue is if you accelerate hard and go over 80 mph the engine will rev with out moving forward like the torque converter is slipping. Could anyone tell me what could be the probable cause, I do have another gearbox and torque converter but i think its a bit more of a job the change on my drive so was hoping there might be a simple solution. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Most common issue is a sticky solenoid in the valve body and lack of service re fluid change.
Get the error code(Tech2) as you will have one when the car goes into limp mode and you can usually fault trace to the specific solenoid from the code.
If you can pin point the solenoid you can do the surgery on the driveway and just remove/clean/change valve body or specific solenoid.
When was the ATF last changed...think the interval is 70K...this can help if it hasnt been done.

Without error codes then its complete guess work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I have had the auto transmission fluid changed and done about 5000mile since, I will try and get a reading on the fault code and see what it is.
Is it an easy job to get to the solenoid's on the gearbox, how long should it take/

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If the fluid was recently changed what spec was put in? AF40-6 gearbox should be AW1 spec.
If you can identify (and source)the problem solenoid its not too difficult but time consuming especially if you are paying someone.
You need to drain the ATF,remove oil cooler lines and then remove the valve body cover for the solenoid surgery.
Much more time if you strip down and clean the solenoid rather than replace.(they are difficult to source)
Many opt to swap the complete valve body.
I have done a couple myself and its a mornings work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, when you say valve body what do you mean, I though the solenoids just unbolt as a complete unit, is it possible to change the whole valve unit body? I have ordered a code reader so will check the valves out at the weekend and check the resistances when i identify which one is the problem.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes that is the belt and braces option...swap the whole valve body or if you can pinpoint the bad solenoid it may be possible to just swap the faulty one.
Its a roll of the dice...a channel may be blocked within the honeycomb and the solenoid may be OK
On the AF40-6 the complete swap may be the best option depending on your level of determination and time available.
If you can diagnose the specific solenoid then it should be easy enough to change it removing the outer valve body cover...after draining all the ATF and moving stuff out of the way.
You can see the solenoids and the whole valve body below

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just read the fault codes and got the following codes, staying with the gearbox P1743 where is this one located in the gearbox?

Saab 93 Fault Codes 10/01/20

P1743 – Torque Clutch Solenoid failed

P1125 – Throttle position sensor intermittent additive adaptation Bank 2 min value

P0650 – MIL lamp active

P1109 – Sensor intermittent

P002 –Fuel volume regulator control circuit range performance

P0268 –Injector 3 circuit high

P2150 – Injector group B supply circuit low

P2147 – Injector group A supply voltage current low

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cjapeterbough, I have just seen the videos you posted, thanks for that it seems to cover everything in detail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts