Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance of a 1992 9000i xs, with full saab main dealer service history, i have spoken to one of the mech who has worked on the car and he has told me it is one of the best cars of its year he has ever seen totaly a1 , the owner is having to give up driving and is sellin for a great price but the one thing i am not sure about is it has an auto box 4 speed i believe, now the eng has told me of some real horror stories about the auto box on saabs as the car has done 200,000 miles (looks like 50,000) question, are the boxes as bad as all that and do i steer clear of the car because of it.
ta.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It seems that the most vulnerable auto transmissions were those fitted to the 2.3T 200hp engine. These engines produce close to the maximum torque that the transmission is designed to handle. I have, however, heard of even these lasting in excess of 200K miles.

If the transmission has been serviced properly and not abused, then there is no reason to suppose it is ready to fail at 200K miles, especially with the much lower torque output of the normally-aspirated engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
my 2.3T autobox was replaced at 156,000, but my Dads Griffin is at 212,00 on the samebox with no probs.

Check if it is whining (sign of the oli pump on its way out). Also check for any sluggish changes or hanging in gears. Finally check that it engages smoothly. If it jolts from N to D then 'there may be trouble ahead'

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.