Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at an 89 SE fpt (100K miles)with an auto box.

I've been advised not to touch anything with an auto and that it will probably need work after 120k.

is this scare mongery? Also is it true that the clutch can be heavy on early cars?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If the box changes up and down smoothly and does not whine and groan,then dont worry,even if it turns out duff there is a plentyfull supply of second-hand boxs,as to the clutch pedal,I run a 89 9k and the clutch is a little heavier than my ovlov,never had trouble with the one on the auto!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a 1990 SE turbo auto. Box finally failed @ 126k miles. Started to play up about a couple of thousand miles before though - changing erratically as I remember. Cost nearly two grand (this I do clearly remember! ) for replacement box and fitting. Still see the car about and its done about 100k on the replacement now. So next car I went manual. (96 Aero ) box still needed rebuild at under 100k! Can't win

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I had an SE 9000 auto around 8 years ago I bought it with around 135k on the original box, it wouldn't go into gear at the lights a few times and was bad changing down I got an auto box service (oil change and adjusted)took 1 hour and cost about £45 and it never gave me another problem I kept the car until 200k and it was still working ok

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I bought the car. It's done 100K with full saab history and 2 owners all for £900 quid so I took the chance. I've spent a fare bit on replacing manual gearboxes and clutches in the past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.