Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 94 2.3 CSE ECO Manual which i have had for 2 years, i am thinking of changing it now for a fully blown turbo or an Aero if i find one, I would like an auto but am a bit worried about how good the auto box is on 9000s and also the acceleration difference i have reckoned that a full pressure turbo auto will be about the same 0 - 60 time as my eco manual would i be right in assuming this?
Also am i right in saying the Aero Auto only has 200 bhp as a pose to the manual having 225 so there is no difference in power between a Turbo Auto and an Aero Auto?
Thanks alot for answers
Rob.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The 2.3FPT autos are limited to 200BHP to protect the gearbox. If the autobox is in good condition and looked after well then it should give several years of good service. The main thing to remember is to not to over do the pull away from stationary as that tends to stress the box.

The auto box (certainly on older models) is a 4 speed box so the economy is down quite a bit compared to the 5 speed manual box.

Steve

·
Registered
172 Posts
The full blown auto will be quicker than a 2.3 eco manual. It should do sub 7 secs to 60 but if you hammer off the line all the time expect to shell out for a recon box at £1500. Look for regular oil changes on the box - about every 30,000 miles and ideally not more than 80,000 on the clock. You do NOT want a 2.3 if it has been chipped etc - the gearbox wont last. Easy around town, effortless overtaking. You are looking at 24mpg around town and 33mpg on a run. My average is 29mpg.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]The 2.3FPT autos are limited to 200BHP to protect the gearbox.
Steve [/qb][/b]
I realise that I am being pedantic, but this is incorrect. The 2.3FPT autos are restricted to below 300 Nm of torque to protect the gearbox. Gearboxes (manual or auto) know nothing about power, they only feel torque. I believe that some of the tuning firms make reprogammed ECUs
specifically for the autobox cars which boost torque at higher engine speeds where it would normally tail off, but keep it below 300 Nm at all engine speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.