Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a 9000, 2.3 turbo, MY 91 with Auto box. I am not doing any "hard" driving. Does a auto box work properly with a Turbo SAAB, even with a speedparts upgrade??

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have a 94 FPT, and the autobox is OK. It's not perfect, but you soon get used to driving to suit the gearbox's change pattern. For example, if you open the throttle fully at 30 mph it will change into second, and take off. If, however, you open the throttle slowly, so that you do not get full throttle before 40 mph, it will stay in third and accelerate rapidly but smoothly, then backing off the throttle a bit at 75 mph allows a smooth change into fourth.

I have only driven one modified auto (basic Abbott upgrade), and it seemed even keener to change down, due to the greater torque input to the gearbox. I'd probably get used to it, given time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought the car and its actually very nice to drive! Got a org. "red" box with 225 HP, 3´exhaust pipe non cat (not very legal around here), so I guess it got around 250+ HP. It certainly feels very fast in the midrange, but is also very noisy over 3000 rews due to the 3´pipe!

But how much power can the auto box cope with???
I am considering going back to an org. exhaust pipe to reduce noice and strain on the autobox.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]But how much power can the auto box cope with???
[/qb][/b]
It's not the power but the torque that kills a 9000 autobox. In standard 2.3FPT form the torque was reduced on the automatic cars to bring it below the 300Nm torgue limit. But remember this 300Nm figure is a servicability design limit, NOT an absolute limit, so it will take more torque but time between rebuilds will be drastically reduced, and there is an increase in potential reliabilty problems.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The autobox features a direct drive in 4th gear, where all the torque is directly transmitted, and in 3rd gear most of the torque is directly transmitted. So if you are careful in 1st and 2nd, and really only use full throttle in 3rd and 4th, you might be lucky.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I should drive carfully in 1th. and 2nd. and defenently reinstall the cat. to legalize and detune the engine! I dont really care about the last 15 HP, I rather have a reliable and legal car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts