Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2.3T CSE auto I have a vibration at idle. At first I thought is was probably the plastic undertrays/front spoiler as I'd not replaced all the corroded jacknuts. Anyway ordered new stainless jacknuts and bolts from RS did all the undertrays and front spoiler including having to remove front bumper cover and still the vibration is there at idle - if engine speed increased it goes away. Had a look at engine this weekend when changing oil and filter and saw that its the aux belt tensioner that is vibrating allowing the pully its attached to to jump about a couple of milli or so. Guess it means a new tensioner (car has done 107k) has anyone come across this before?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I haven't had it on a later engine with the serpentine belt (I think all 2.3 engines have this?), but on my '87 2.0T, the A/C belt tensioner had a manual adjustment and the bearing failed on it somewhere around 180K miles, making a lot of vibration and noise.

I believe it's not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I believe it's not uncommon.  [/b]
Agreed.

The aux belt tensioner pulley is a known problem at around 100k miles. It usually gets noisy, which is quite audible with bonnet lifted. Basically the bearing gets dry and wears out. If not replaced, the plastic pulley wheel has been known to shatter. I had one replaced at 105k miles on a 1994 plate 2L CDE.

Not a problem yet on my '98 CSE 2L with 117k, and would be interested to know if latter versions are more reliable.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
We replaced both plastic pulley wheels on a 900 convert a couple of months ago, one had disappeared. Can't remember how many miles it had, I believe it was about an "N" plate and not excessive mileage.

Neil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.