Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kats' 2.3 Automatic seems to have a minor oil leak on the drivers side. If I park it outside the house (the road is on a slope) then it tends to leave tiny little puddles of oil on the road. I had assumed it was an engine oil leak as it was black.. but parking it at my parents on their path (which slopes) led to a tiny spot of clean oil on their drive. It doesn't seem to leak at work when its parked on the flat.

I have checked the ATF level and the whole dipstick seems to be covered in the same amount of oil - so I guess its either overfull or off the bottom. Oil however does seem to be clean on the stick.

I haven't crawled under the car to check it out - for obvious weather reasons

Any suggestions? Is it likely to be something I can ignore (if I can confirm the oil levels) or is it something I should get checked out?

Steve (who is stuck at work in the Brum Business Park due to the Motor Show)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Steve,
To check the auto oil level you need to do it with the engine running and with the transmission up to temperature after a run.You also need to have moved the lever in and out of gears prior to checking. Sequence in the Haynes if you have one......I always find it difficult to see exactly where the oil is on the black dipstic. Someone, here I think, suggested rubbing chalk on it before dipping. Never tried it myself.
I think the most likely leak points are the drain plug and the filter housing.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
ATF fluid will also have a red tint to it.
Auto transmission is on the passenger side of a RHD car, so if the oil drips are on the drivers side I would suspect a leak from the engine instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.