Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

random question for you. When you're filling your car with petrol, how low do you generally let the fuel tank go before filling up?

My 206 had a pretty big fuel gauge that was very evenly calibrated, and made it very easy to guess at how much fuel is left.

The CSE however seems to go pretty smoothly from full to 1/2, and then drops very dramatically to just below 1/4. I tend to fill up at a smidge below 1/4 usually as I'm still not totally used to it. How accurate is the "miles to empty" readout generally? It usually reads another 70-80 miles at 1/4 but I'm not totally convinced given how eagerly it drops from 1/2 to 1/4...

Or am I going mad?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have let my 'miles to go' drop down to single figures on many occasions over the years with no embarassing result...yet! This has been the case with three 9000's. It even read zero once, which was when I pulled up and left the car idling for a minute or so when it was previously showing around nine miles, still got to the garage though.
Nick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

Being paranoid, I normally fill up when the orange low fuel indicator comes on if not before.
If you have the computer set on average MPG, just to the right of that is a little arrow which starts flashing when you only have about 25-30 miles range left.

Hope that helps.

Michael

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I generally wait until the orange light comes on and usually until I have only 15-20 "miles to go". I once ran my '87 2.0T down to zero and drove 30 more miles. I was late for a ferry so if I'd stopped to fill up I'd have missed it just as much as if I'd run out of petrol. As it turned out, I arrived, checked in quickly, drove straight onto the ferry and they closed the doors behind me.

From that point, I always assumed that there was at least 30 miles in hand on the gauge. Wrong

On my '95 CSE, I let it go down to something like 8 "miles to go", having driven 1.5 miles from work to home at lunchtime. I intended to fill up on the way back, but the car would start but wouldn't run properly. You guessed it. Of all places to run out of fuel, though, this was the least hassle. I drove the Aero back instead, then bought a jerry-can that evening, filled it up and refuelled the CSE. Lesson learned.

One thing I have heard is that the fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling, and therefore longevity. No-one has convinced me either way whether this means the fuel running through it or the fuel it is immersed in. If the latter, then the advice not to let the tank run low would be correct.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bill, I've also heard that pump relies on the fuel for cooling. I would think the fuel acts, somewhat, as a lubricant, too. I do know this, though: I've destroyed 2 fuel pumps - one on the Aero and one in my Chevy pick-up - by letting the fuel run too low, ie., out! Another thing to be careful of is overfilling the gas tank. One should never run the gas (petro') pumps at filling stations past the point where they automatically shut-off. Overfilling can cause gas to run back down the return-line and into the charcoal cannister, destroying the purge-valve, I would imagine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Originally posted by slidejules:
[qb]Hello guys,

random question for you. When you're filling your car with petrol, how low do you generally let the fuel tank go before filling up?

My 206 had a pretty big fuel gauge that was very evenly calibrated, and made it very easy to guess at how much fuel is left.

The CSE however seems to go pretty smoothly from full to 1/2, and then drops very dramatically to just below 1/4. I tend to fill up at a smidge below 1/4 usually as I'm still not totally used to it. How accurate is the "miles to empty" readout generally? It usually reads another 70-80 miles at 1/4 but I'm not totally convinced given how eagerly it drops from 1/2 to 1/4...

Or am I going mad? [/qb][/b]
Slidejules:

One consideration I preach to everyone is to not let the tank go near empty. Depending on the age of the vehicle, sediments float and set on the bottom of the tank. You run the risk of pumping alot of debris into the fuel line and fuel filter.
Obviously this could cause blockage at a minimum and allowing major inefficiencies of your injectors and plugs. I know from past experiences(2) when I was a cub with two non-Saab vehicles.

Wherewolfe

·
Registered
250 Posts
How timely!
Had my 9K serviced yesterday by a Saab independent who shall remain nameless because he's a nice guy and I don't want to embarrass him. He loaned me a 900 FPT for the day, except when I was ready to go to work, couldn't get the engine to fire up. The trip computer showed 6 miles to go! Reckon there wasn't enough fuel to prime the system or sediment was picked up & blocked the filter/lines. Had to borrow another car to work. Damn! I was so looking forward to trying out an FPT. Anyway, I go with Wherewolfe on this one. In my 9K I refuel with 30 miles to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.