Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In the interests of making my car even more of a grandadcruiser, I've just scored a front armrest off ebay. I've found some vague ideas of how it fits from elsewhere on the forum (ie bolts near the seat rails), but could do with some pix of what the base of the mounting should look like once fitted (i.e. where exactly should I be cutting through the carpet, I can't really feel much through it?) - if anyone has a spare moment to take a couple of pictures of theirs and email to me or post here, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks! Jules

·
Registered
335 Posts
both my 9000's (admittedly they were both pre92 shape) had cutouts/perforations in the carpet already, little flaps off the carpet hanging around.. if you look behind the carpet adjacent to the rear sides of the centre console thats where the captive nuts are supposed to be, located vertically on the tunnel i think - above and behind the seat runner locations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Off topic here... but I had a very similar Norton poster on my bedroom wall when I was 14... Viv Neve was gorgeous (aren't they all to a 14 yr old lad??) Jeez..that was hmmmm 30 yrs ago ?? since then I've been through (amongst others...) Puch Maxi, Honda 90, Suzuki T125 Stinger, Yam YR5, Suzy GT750 Yam XJ900 Honda VF750 and currently run a Honda ST1100 and XR280 (though not at the same time..)

Any othe biker/Saabers on the board ??

ok - back to the armrest now lol

Greg

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've got a 2.3 LPT and a Honda Transalp at present.
Previous bikes include a '72 Triumph Daytona T100R, VFR750, BMW R65, Yamaha RS100, Kawasaki Z250, Kawa GT 750 amoungst others.

I used to say " There's no such thing as a "fast car" " but I'm less predjudiced these days.

I once read that " the Honda VFR750 is the SAAB 900 of the motorcycle world" , at the time I had both, sensible old [expletive deleted] that I am.

Wul

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by wulbert:
[qb]SlideJules,
I'm looking for a centre armrest too, same reason. I'm not fussy about colour, how much were breakers looking for?
Don't think I could stretch to £56

Scroogily,

Wul [/qb][/b]
Actually I didn't get the one that went for £56. I was just about to bid on it when I saw one come up that had a buy it now of £30, which I did straight away. It just arrived today... to be honest I am kinda fussy about colour and this one doesn't quite match - there were two shades of beige leather it seems, mine is very much lighter than this one which is more of a yellow colour. But it'll do for the moment! Anyway while searching for one I phoned around a load of breakers. Neo Bros (love em or leave em) when I emailed last week apparently had several in black/grey for about £40. Not sure how much they'll want for postage though.

Cheers! Jules

p.s. is noone able to send me a pic of the base of their mounting? I have been out feeling my way around the base of the centre console where I think it should go, and I can't really feel anything obvious. I'd rather not go too ballistic with the stanley if I can help it so please please please a photo of the base, with the arm installed, would be really helpful for where I should be aiming at cutting? Failing that does anyone live near chiswick and wouldn't mind letting me have a quick peek at theirs?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just doing the same to mine (2.3 CSE '96 ftp)
Easiest way is to fold the rear seat squab, undo the clips for the carpet under there, then undo the side plastic strip that holds the carpet.
You can then get your arm under the carpet and feel for the position of the holes.
Mine does not have the retaining nuts pre-fitted so I have got to sort something out for this, which will mean removing the carpet completely.
I thought the retaining nuts would have been a standard fit in production.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, this is driving me insane. Today I got the captive nuts and bolts for the armrest, hacked about the carpet a bit, and have found the rectangular holes. But, how on earth does this captive nut business work? Does the captive nut go behind the metal part of the body I am screwing into? Or do they go between the armrest frame and the body? I could not see on earth how to get the nuts in behind the body, and so currently I have got the nuts sitting between the armrest and the body itself, so that only the end of the screw actually protudes into the hole. It's workable but seems pretty loose, the entire frame can rock forward and backward about 5 degrees either way. That can't be right can it? Am I being really stupid here?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'm pretty certain that they go on the inside.

I'm guessing that out would need to screw a longer bolt onto the end (with the nut furthest and hooks closest to the bolt head) and use the bolt to get the nut on the inside of the metal frame (through at an angle) and then pull the nut clip up to the metal fram until it locates (screwdriver to help??)

Remove bolt and repeat for the other 3....

Andrew

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A ha! Yup, got it. If there is anyone else who is trying to fit one of these armrests, basically you don't actually need to do half as much hacking in the carpet as I thought. Andrew's description on how to insert the captive nuts into their rectangular holes is spot on, although you don't really need to have a bolt in the nut while you do it. The nut slides in at an angle and then using a srewdriver or other sharp implement you then push the top part of the nut through, until what you're left with is the nut on one side of the metal ("inside" the centre console) and the little flanges on the outside, holding the nut in place. The frame then screws straight in, and there is room for it to be above the carpet (I had thought it would go under). Anyway thanks for the tip, it's now secure in place and I am happy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can buy the covers separately if you are looking for a colour match. Got mine (second hand rest and new cream leather cover) from Two Stroke a couple of years ago - I think I paid about £90 for both.

Took about 30 mins to fit...

Zip

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BPV slough - 01753 692386 (hope it's OK to post that here!). Before them I'd tried a few main dealers who just replied that they didn't sell the captive nuts or bolts separately. Anyway, BPV came up trumps.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I got the captive nuts from a dealer. Pretty sure they're in the accessory catalogue and not the main parts catalogue. Find a dealer with a parts guy (or lady) who knows the products inside out. I took the armrest out of my Aero because I found it an incredible pain in the rear. However, my dad wanted it for his auto so I fitted it (with new captive nuts). There's no acccounting for taste...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.