Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got the right DI ECU (eventually) and also installed the fuel/temp/boost gauge where hitherto there had been the all-important upper-most one missing) and ... it works!

I've actually had a dim and distant view of the almost mythical
!! Lot's more Ooomph from my erstwhile LPT, upper, right-hand needle flicking back and forth fit to bust!!

My first (nearly said 'only'!!) problem now is connecting the boost gauge permanently to the inlet manifold. Where can I get hold of those 'multi-armed-spigots-in-a-rubber-bung' thingies which are plugged into the manifold and to which a plethora of hoses are attached? Preferably one with a spare spigot onto which I can connect the boost-gauge hoe permanently. Mine seem very wobbly and incapable of holding any sort of pressure so the rubber-bungs need to be replaced, too. No doubt this is only the first tentative step I shall take on the perilous path to redline boost!!
Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Demon Tweeks can supply them, but even easier (and cheaper) is probably a local pet store- the air line fittings for fish tanks are about the right size

Cheaper again you may well find that you have at least one unused nipple on the inlet manifold with a rubber cap on it.

The hose can be brought in to the passenger compartment via the white plastic bulkhead fitting that sits in the top right corner behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,
Thanks for the el-cheapo substitute for the 'must-be-gold-plated' original parts. I'll go aquarium-shop browsing this weekend.
I took the boost-gauge pipe through the bulkhead through the same rubber grommet that the R/H front sun-roof drain goes through, just to the upper right of the instrument cluster (as you look at it from the driver's seat) Went through fairly easily and slips neatly in one of the spare clips in the purpose-built exit slot from behind the false bulkhead into the engine compartment.
Is there any benefit in looking for some sort of sealant for the grommets-in-the-manifold thingies?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Real full-pressure turbos have a Y-piece (a T-piece would do too) in the hose running from the bypass valve to the manifold, to which the boost gauge hose is connected. The Y-piece is positioned in the hose just as it passes the end of the engine, above the gearbox. It's just a plastic fitting and probably isn't a fortune even at Saab's inflated prices. Bet you'd have to order it, though. Any plastic T-piece would do as long as it fits.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the info on how I'm going to connect the boost gauge pie to an existing pipe. My problem now is that the actual insertion of the plastic pipe-connection into the manifold, via a rubber bung/grommet, is not good. The rubber bungs/grommets are loose in their fit. Can I seal them into the manifold or do I have to get replacements? The plastic also seems loose where it goes into the rubber bung/grommet. Can this be sealed off, too?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.