Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the Abbott ARB bushes really 3x better than Superflex as that is the price premium. I am not gonna be a regular track day monsta, just want more poise on the road whilst giving it a little more
Is it possible to get the metal straps for these bushes from any of these suppliers as they are not shown on any of their websites.

is the Abbott intake pipe upgrade a worthwhile proposition, what will it give me?

Ta

·
Registered
778 Posts
You might want to consider checking out Eeuroparts.com. Unfortunately, they're in the 'states (CT), but it may still be worth it. They carry the poly control arm bushes, they're purple, already installed in new aluminum straps, for about 50 quid. If you're not in a rush, I'm sure Todd would send them 'snail' mail, or if you're in a rush, they could be Fed-Ex'ed. The Super-Flex are cheaper, but you have to remove the rubber from the old straps and install the new polys - a procedure that might be worth the little bit extra it costs to buy them already done.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Like TheFox, I found that fitting the rear anti-roll bar bushes (mine were Superflex, I think TheFox's were Abbott) made a big difference to the turn-in on corners. Basically, a lot of the understeer went away and I found I no longer needed to "drag" the car into a corner.

However, on subsequently fitting poly bushes to the front anti-roll bar, I found that all the understeer came back. The car rolled a bit less but lack of roll doesn't necessarily make for good grip or handling. I've since removed those and refitted standard rubber bushes to the front.

I have no direct experience of the Abbott anti-roll bar bushes, but the Superflex ones worked well on the rear for me. I think Abbott's are designed to work as a package with their uprated rear anti-roll bar, which would allow you to use poly on the front as well while maintaining the desired front-rear balance (because the rear is even stiffer). I know someone who went through the same experience with the Abbott bushes as I did with the Superflex bushes and who also reported that the understeer came back once the front bushes were fitted.

I think the only place you would get the straps is a Saab dealer, but I haven't come across one that needed replacing.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
IIRC the "upgraded" ARBs that Abbott sell are simply 19mm for those cars that had either 17 or 18mm ones, which tended to be the pre-CS series. I'm sure that's what Abbott told me a while back when I asked them anyway...

Also, I understand that the Abbott poly bushes are slightly softer than those from Superflex. (Other Abbott suspension components are also a bit "softer" than other aftermarket ones as a slight compromise towards comfort)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.