Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i right in thinking a 96 lpt does not have apc fitted?. Ive recently been told fitting it would improve performance. As youve probably gathered im not exactly clued up on this but would appreciate any advise. thxs

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't know about the 2 ltr version but my 2.3 LPT from 1996 didn't have the 'business' end of an APC system ( the actual solenoid itself) but it does have all the wiring loom in place just to plug one in.

However, I'm pretty sure that just plugging a solenoid in will make no difference because the standard ECU is not programmed to control it. You would either have to :

1. Replace the ECU with one from a full pressure turbo car of the same period ( and be wary of Saabs VSS security system if fitted) & then buy an APC solenoid . You will then have a full pressure turbo car, which I think is about 200BHP as against the 170BHP of the 2.3 LPT.

or

2. Buy a tuning kit from Elkparts/ Maptun/ Abbott etc which will give you a reprogrammed ECU (& normally an APC solenoid & a free flow air filter too)which will increase the engine output up to 235BHP , or thereabouts, depending on which system/supplier you choose.

I chose the second option for my car and cannot speak highly enough of it. The cars performance is transformed & I still average over 30MPG.

Have a search under LPT upgrade & you should find more information.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all. i think your right about the removal of apc and the addition of an intercooler. the maptun stage one upgrade price ive been quoted is for a 2.3lpt without apc,so presumable the new ecu replaces the need for it?. price would have been a lot less if my car had apc

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by K9SAAB:
[qb]the maptun stage one upgrade price ive been quoted is for a 2.3lpt without apc,so presumable the new ecu replaces the need for it?. [/qb][/b]
IIRC the maptun kit includes the APC solenoid and necessary hoses. Same for Speedparts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.