Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a few performance enhancments on my 94 9000 aero which will probably overwhelm the standard clutch
the choices are the ap paddle clutch (lose a bit of drivability)
or the sachs clutch (expensive !!)

what is the collective wisdom on the best choice ?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I went for standard, but at 280bhp/310ftlb I'm probably at the very upper limit of what it will take.

I've driven BillJ's at goodwood, and MarkE's (badly) around Abbott's and once on the move you wouldn't know the difference.

Theirs'a re the paddle clutch I think. The are abrupt on initial take up and I guess take some getting used to in queued traffic....

You could speak to Dr Alan 'give me a new engine without an MBC' B as he had I believe a line up of 3 or 4 differnt clutches he was considering.

He may even have some of them left.

Andrew

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've got the Sachs Racing Pressure Plate with a stock Sachs clutch and have had no problems in over 20k miles. With larger injectors, 50 mm intercooler, and 3" exhaust, I was able to have Fredrik (MapTun) do his thing with my software. The Sachs pressure plate is rated for about 600 nms - I'm sure Fredriks' tuning gives me somewhat less ( maybe 450?) Anyway, my point is that the stock clutch is more than sufficient, with my level of tuning, and the pressure plate is what you should be concerned with. One note of caution, though: I have heard that others have had problems getting the clutch to disengage with the uprated pressure plate. The throw out bearing doesn't have a lot of travel and the higher rated fingers/springs on the pressure plate may be more than what the hydraulics can overcome to allow the clutch to disengage. My clutch disengages when the pedal is not very far from the floor. A friend of mine had his pedal to the floor and still the clutch wouldn't disengage - he also had his flywheel resurfaced and that may have been a contributing factor.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup,

BillJ and I both have the AP paddle clutch.

They're not too harsh at all when first installed, and quite easy to drive. The problems come if you're stuck in stop start traffic, when they get juddery as they warm up.

They are also quite abrasive and after a while, hte flywheel gets rough, which makes the take up even sharper. Mine's a bit like this now and I'm considering having the flywheel surface re-machined.

Lead time for the AP clutches is normally 6-8 weeks, unless you are lucky enough to find one in stock. From memory price is around £160 plus VAT.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
In my short experience of using them, I found the AP paddle clutch to be fairly user friendly. Although the clutch on my CD is heavier than on most cars.

I'll go for the AP paddle clutch for when the time comes for me to replace the existing item.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Choose Sachs. I know their name sounds bad but it's fairly good. I also like the AP's in some way though.[/b]
Holy thread ressurection Batman......... :eek:

Almost 6 years - cracking effort :D :thumbsup:

Ylee could write a book on the mods and associated problems with the 'Monster' since he first instigated this thread.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
And having lived with both I would now say Sachs for road, AP for track. The paddle becomes harder to use as it does more damage to the flywheel from day to day driving. I got through 2 APs (about 30-35k miles each IIRC) and on each occasion the flywheel was mullered.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Impressive thread resurrection. Spotted this yesterday, which is apt as last night I think I was getting a bit of clutch slip.

In cold outside temps, the aggressive Stg3 map on the 9000 Aero may be a bit much for the stock clutch when peak boost arrives.

Wrote a bit more on my Saab blog about the slippage, too much for a standard forum post :)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
yes,

I too am now getting a small amount of slip when high boost, high gear and cold outside.

been several years now though, 6+ on the std clutch.

Andrew

Impressive thread resurrection. Spotted this yesterday, which is apt as last night I think I was getting a bit of clutch slip.

In cold outside temps, the aggressive Stg3 map on the 9000 Aero may be a bit much for the stock clutch when peak boost arrives.

Wrote a bit more on my Saab blog about the slippage, too much for a standard forum post :)[/b]

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like what I have then, for a similar setup.

Looking back at bills, the clutch has been in for 40k miles, but that is 7 years.

Hopefully it won't be an issue, no motivation to spend £££ on the car at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts