Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having bad judder problems with my AP clutch (fitted about 3 years/50k miles ago) on my 9000. I'd been told that they tend to rough up the surface of the flywheel, so I booked it in to have the flywheel removed and skimmed to solve the problem.

Here's what was found:

I've gone with another for now as it was the only option available off the shelf. Everything else that might have been possible was 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
50K miles isn't bad though, or is it? Touch wood, I've never had to buy a new clutch for any of my cars. How long do the standard one's last, that is, when used on cars with 200-225bhp?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'd want to see nearer 100k minimum out of a std clutch. Also, a std clutch wouldn't inflict that sort of damage to the pressure plate and flywheel!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
A standard clutch on a standard 2.3T Carly or Aero will normally see you to between 140,000 and 180,000 miles with little or no problems.

Both my Aero (135,000) and Carlsson (165,000) had loads of wear left in them when the gearboxes failed.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I would agree with andrew
gearboxes break before clutches wear out...
(except when her indoors drives...)
My first 9000T had 165 k on the origonal clutch when I sold it
The aero has had two clutches
1.when abbott re-built the gearbox @135k it it was "half worn "
2.At 198k... donno.?.I will ask wmss..
but they seem to last at least 100 k even with abuse The AP may be relatively cheap but there is only so much friction material...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch life is a very variable factor- influenced by both driving style and type of roads i.e. if the miles are m'way, expect long life; if the miles are A road/commuting, expect shorter.

Even if I do say do myself, I am kind to clutches; I now instinctively tend to match revs on gear changes- it's something I taught myself to do after having this clutch fitted.

Still, I've been left with little choice at the mo but to go with another AP (which incidentally is actually made by Borg & Beck) whilst I look for other options for the next time...

·
Registered
138 Posts
That (paddle) clutch looks as though it has about 1/4 of the area of a non-paddle type, so 50k can't be bad. AP do a big range of clutches, so maybe they have a non-paddle-type friction plate to suit?

Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unfortunately not it would appear. I emailed AP to enquire about clutch options for my Maptun stage 1 9k Aero and their paddle clutch was all they could offer. At least they replied...I'm still waiting for Helix to get back to me...

Looks like Sachs could be my only option.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

when Heuschmid pulled out the engine from my Viggen (47.500 miles), the clutch just fell apart (they showed me the parts).

I suggested to use a SPEC clutch from Taliaferro, but they convinced me to go with the stock Viggen clutch again. I paid 526 EURO (350 GBP) including installation. Is that price ok?

Yours,

Philip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts