Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from Frank at Sweedspeed. He needs workshop space for the 9-3 SS racer development and thus needs to sell a fully prepared, unpainted c900 shell with a chrome-molybdane (sp?) full roll cage installed and a racing dog-box that is rated at 600 Nm and 450 hp which cost him about SEK 100.000 (11,000 euro) alone. He wants to see the equivalent of 10,000 Dutch guilders (4,xxx euro) for the lot. That's about 10,000 more than I can afford
, but apart from that seems about right to me. I reckon you could try and talk him down a bit, but not by very much.

Hell, if we all throw in a couple of hundred euro's we could see STTE on the race track sometime!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'd love to partner in that project.. however.. the car's not road legal.. so it can't Nurburgring on tourist days. And on any other serious trackdays, we'd need to trailer it there.

Also, what state is it in?.. Is it in a driving state? How long will engine and transmission last between rebuilds?

Is other safety gear fitted, seats, harnesses, fuel system cutoffs, extinguishers etc?

·
Registered
203 Posts
About £3000 for us Brits, sounds a lot for a rolling shell, but I bet that gearbox wasn't cheap.

Chrome Molybdenum ( Eric), mmmmmmmm, expensive,strong. Anyone got a spare 300hp engine going cheap??

If I sold the 9000T, Mini and camper van I could afford it, but don't think the missus would be too impressed......

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark - it's a bare, prepared, strenghtened, cage welded in, body-in-white. No doors, no bonnet, no interior, no nothing (no rust either! Plus the racing gearbox. Neither of the two has been used so far.

Whether you make it a road legal or strictly race vehicle is up to you...

Best way to go about this would be purchasing an 88- on (later brakes) donor car, strip, clean and install all the greasy bits while rebuilding the engine...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Best way to go about this would be purchasing an 88- on (later brakes) donor car, strip, clean and install all the greasy bits while rebuilding the engine...  [/b]
Mmmmm, this kinda thing gets me licking my lips. It would be a very exciting project, as I said in the trackday car thread, my dream is to have my own Saab racer. I think it would be wise to get it to the standard where it would pass an MOT or whatever the equivalent may be. Having a car which can only be driven on the track can lead to a lot of heartache and expense. Having paid for a trackday which only lasted 3 laps I can imagine the torment for someone if their car broke down after a couple of minutes fun. With any kind of project car, no matter how much time you put in this is always a possibility.

It's defintely one for a group of people to tackle, many hands make light work and many wallets can fill a money pit.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Best way to go about this would be purchasing an 88- on (later brakes) donor car, strip, clean and install all the greasy bits while rebuilding the engine...  [/b]
And then when you put the engine back in you can then start to swop all the old greasy bits
when you realise they have passed there sell by date and can't handle the power It's a never ending road really as is all motorsport Eric has got the right idea in just modifying a standard car in stages thus keeping within his budget.If you had a donor like Erics to start with and then bought the shell/gearbox

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
You're right there Saabman, realistically 1 donor will never be enough as you end up throwing away more parts than you can reuse. So really what you need is a good well maintained T16S as a donor ... and didn't we have a thread going recently about the cost of T16's??

Still even if you do use a mediocre engine and tranny to start with, it gives you something to run at the very least and you can "upgrade" it piece by piece, in much the way Eric is doing with Saabine. Remember that a stripped out racer will be plenty quick with modest bhp as the power to weight ratio will be more than healthy. 200 horses could quote easily equate to 200bhp per ton.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course you folks are right, that it would be stupid to buy a racer shell and gearbox built to the highest standards -forgot to mention that the 'box has an LSD fitted BTW and build scrapyard engine, brakes, brake and fuel lines, etc. into it so realistically, this would be a serious financial commitment for one person or even a small group. I would for instance fit the shell with Sweedspeed's Kevlar composite bonnet and tailgate right away (doors, too if it weren't to be streetlegal anyway), and the front brakes would be AP Racing four pots. As there's no wiring at all, I would start with aftermarket angine management, too.

But notwithstanding that you would need a whole host of parts and knick knacks (short engine block, front A-arms and knuckles, rear axle and brakes, handbrake cables and lever, brake master and booster, pedals, throttle cable and fittings, all kinds of screws and fittings, doors, windscreen and side windows bumpers, headlights, indicator taillights, wiring for all the lighting, dashboard, engine mounts, etc. etc.) that would be be rather uneconomical in terms of time and money if you had to get them all from the scrappy individually in terms of time and money spent - hence the donor vehicle.

The ideal donor car, of course, would be some kind of totaled/damaged racer or highly modified road/track day car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts