Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching this but have decided to go another route.

I had asked the seller a few questions and it matches the Abbott I/C perfectly so I assume PACE make the Abbott item (28row, 40mm with same cast end tanks etc). Its actually the saab sized 500x380core too (they measured again)
From what I could see you'd need to move the mounting pins and thats about it.

Anyway - price is looking good I'd say...and you can use all those pipes for the new kitchen.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Abbott is actually £395+vat now so now better option than direct to Pace. (browser had cached the old page - doh!)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Allards have just made me a 70mm thick intercooler for my Saab and still have my original intercooler as a pattern and I will leave it there for the forseeable future to assist any other 9000 owners who want a bespoked cooler making. The workmanship is outstanding although they messed up my outlet pipe size which I wanted at 3" but are sending me a replacement pipe so I can sort out myself. They offered to fix it but I couldn't be bothered to send the thing back...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered mine but just a 50mm one Cheers for the template Mark

I know you are bining the aircon but in order for me to squeeze it between the Rad and condenser, do you know whether the locating pins remain in the 'centre', or is the I/C pushed forwards or pulled back relative to the Rad to get it to sit correctly in the 'sandwich'?

I guess the pins can be re-welded once fitted but I want to avoid any hassle.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think you will be okay with the locating pins, I, with hindsite should have stated that the pins should be welded on with a measured offset to line up with the original holes but it will be easy to drill 2 more holes in the braacket. The a/c condensor will need some securing to the intercooler as the original intercooler has bolt holes in the plastic ends to fix them together. How you manage that will be up to you...no more nails?..

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looked at these ebay ICs for quite some time - 'Most' fitting is possible but could take days of messing around to get it to fit plus expense of custom hoses etc etc.
In the end I wanted one that would drop straight in and let me keep the aircon but you may want to rise to the challenge!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks to be a good deal - certainly caught my attention! How was the 50 mm one for price Faero and how does that compare to the 70 mm one Mark?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
To to clarify, does the Allard one mean that you have problems with the aircon?

Can someone tell me how much their IC costs, by PM or otherwise?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've gone for 50mm core which allows you to keep the aircon but still has 60% more 'volume' than standard. I believe this is tight but will fit.
(Maptun's IC is 50mm and aircon remains)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts