Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the front lights replaced after a minor accident that required new front headlights. The panel shop has no idea how to adjust these (or just isn't interested). Anyone know how to adjust the lights, mine are now pointing hard left and down and the other is out there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If Oz is anything like the UK then it needs to be done with proper beam adjusting equipment - a local garage should be able to do this. In the UK it is part of the annual MOT test and a car will fail if the beams are out of alignment. For a starter you could try lining them up on a garage door or something similar - use some marks to check the difference between dipped and main and then check the beam pattern at night on the road - this can only ever be a rough guide and I think you will need to find somebody like a Lucas agent who may have the proper equipment.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have made minor adjustments myself which still passed an MOT.

If you park the car at night with at least a cars length away from another car there should be a point where direct light from the headlight stops and the 'glow' (in other words you can see where the strong light stops and the the duller glow starts) starts on the other vehicle (it's fairly obvious when you see it)
Put simply, the 'direct' light shouldn't be high enough to go through the rear window of the car in front, i set mine to be about halfway between the bumper and the window.

You should also be able to se angled esections of light etc as well (showing the different beam allignments from each side of the car).
Again these should be fractionally to the left.

I don't think main beam is part of our MOT test, because your not aiming the lights anywhere with this, just giving it everything it's supposed to flood the area in front of the cvar with light.

Hope this makes sense!

you may find it easier to start with one headlight at a time, and block or disconnect the other.

Skiddins

·
Registered
218 Posts
LocoSaab is right, but if you are going to adjust them yourself you need to drive up to a garage door/wall (on the flat of course) and mark on with chalk the centres of the headlights at the right height. Back the car off about 30 feet and then use the white plastic adjusters (CS) on the opposite diagonals of the headlights to adjust up and down with the top one and left/right with the lower one. It is best to use a socket to fit over the end of the adjuster so as not to damage it. Also makes aligning quicker, you will work out very quickly how the adjusters align the lights.
Basically align the lights up so that the mark on the door/wall is in the angle on the beam. By that I mean where it goes from flat beam to angled up.
I have done this on 4 cars now and never had any complaints at the MOT. Mind you most garages only charge a few pounds to put it on their alignment equipment.
BTW you need to ensure the adjustment switch on the dash is in it's highest position.
Cheers,

Duncan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks, I'll give it a go. Interestingly the factory set levels (with 0 dialled up on the adjuster) did attract the occassional high beam flash from the disgruntled on-coming driver. I would always oblige with a flash of the high beams to settle the matter. My 9-5 is worse, over flat roads no problem, but over bumpy hilly roads I always blind on-coming drivers - I can see the whites of their eyes the lights are so bright

1 - 7 of 7 Posts