Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fit reversing sensors to my 1997 9000CD Eco Auto as I have a trick back & find it painful looking over my shoulder. Has anyone fitted a DIY kit? Are the sensors easy to fit in the bumper or does the impact absorbing cells make this difficult? Any tips gratefully received

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I did it on a '96 CSE. I can't imagine the bumpers are very different.

I had to remove the bumper, then dismantle it to remove the cover. Drilled the holes in the cover, then through into the polystyrene impact-absorbing bit to make clearance for the sensors. Thread the wiring through and push the sensors into place, reassemble the bumper, refit and connect the wires to the control unit.

If you'll be painting the sensors, do it before fitting them.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Guy I know did it (also on a CS) with a kit bought from a camping & caravaning show. Looked pretyy neat & tidy, seemed to work fine for him but it did sound like a truck reversing.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by DaveS:
[qb]BillJ, were these Saab sensors or an aftermarket job?[/qb][/b]
It was a Cobra Parkmaster system. Not cheap compared to some systems available (£114) but works well and probably a lot cheaper than anything from Saab.

The sensors are spray-paintable to match the bumper if it's colour-coded. An aerosol does the job nicely.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill, I'll definitely buy a kit now I know it's possible!
I'm thinking of the kit sold by Conrad Anderson UK at http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/radar/MWE-800-4.htm
This seems to do everything I need - including the visual (led) indicator panel. Roughly the same price as the Cobra unit.
Thanks again - I'll post some details when I've done the job (might even write it up for the SOC Driver mag.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yep, looks very similar to the Cobra product, with the addition of a visual display. Let us know when you've done it. I took notes and photos when I did mine, but still haven't got around to writing it up for my web site and it was almost a year ago

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
BillJ, I bought a kit shortly after buying my car, as the car was much bigger than anything I'd had previously. However, I soon got used to the extra length and never fitted the kit. The other reason for not fitting it was a degree of uncertainty as to where I could easily tap into the reversing light power supply, given that the reversing light is in the hatch on the CSE.

Do you have a handy hint please?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I don't know where exactly it is , but I understand there's a plug/wires available at the back of the 9000 for connecting towbar electrics to, which would have the reverse feed in it. Someone else will probably be able to tell you where to find it...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know where exactly it is , but I understand there's a plug/wires available at the back of the 9000 for connecting towbar electrics to, which would have the reverse feed in it. Someone else will probably be able to tell you where to find it...[/b]
Hi All & Happy New Year.
I am considering buying a reversing sensor kit for my CSE but am unsure how easy it will be to get an electrical feed from the reversing light in the hatch. I located the trailer connector (which is behind the n/s rear lamp cluster) but, having probed each of the contacts, do not think any connect to the reversing light.

Any other ideas how I could easily get a feed from the reversing light wire?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.