Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying on from this being mentioned in the 'Anti-roll bar diameter' thread---having experienced the breakage of the clamp bolts when replacing the rear bushes; I wonder if this is also a common problem on the fronts.

I haven't looked very closely but it looks as though the bolts on the front bar clamps, screw into captive nuts in the chassis frame. If this is the case it would be a bit of a nightmare if one of these sheared off.

Anyone know for sure how the front clamps are fitted?

Btw, when one of the rear bolts broke it went almost as soon as I put a spanner on it; I doubt if a more liberal dose of easing fluid would have helped much.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You're right about the front bolts going into captive nuts. I changed mine a couple of months ago and had no problems, mines a 92 with 196k, so they must have been on a while. If you soak them with plusgas and leave them a couple of hours it'll give it time to work on them. Plusgas is better than WD40.

Neil

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If the bolt snaps off, one trick is to cut off the captive nut and apply a loose nut in it's place!

(Tip came from new Saab specilist (non-franchised) at City Saab (Cardiff: 02920 797080) - with whom I have no affiliation, but seems a decent outfit based on first impressions!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I used to use Plus Gas 50 odd years ago; haven't seen any for ages; still available presumably.

I guess cutting ( angle grinding ) the nuts off in case of trouble is what I would have done if they can be accesssed easily. I'll have a closer look. Don't want to be taking the engine out.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.