Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Nah! Just get the one dressed as a policewoman
Then all the illegal drivers in front will clear your way!!

Mind you, you'll have to keep her warm or you'll still show up as one person on an infra-red camera.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I forgot to add that around the North of Bristol, a two lane dual carriageway ring road was recently completed for the aid and comfort of drivers to by-pass Bristol and its suburbs, and detract vehicles from the City, and thereby reduce pollution and traffic grid lock during rush hour.

The idiots at the council then quickly installed a 2+persons car sharing lane in.

So what's the point of having the by-pass in the first place? My brain hurts.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sgould, the reason being that there's lot's of people living on the outer fringes of Bristol, who commute towards and around Bath, or conversely over the bridge to South Wales, or need to get to the M4 via the M32. The by-pass means they do not have to travel through the City of Bristol.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
In principle I have no problem with car pool lanes but I'd like to see them start with the pointless M4 bus lane first and secondly, quit narrowing town roads by making pavements super wide thus removing bus layby's and then forcing buses to stop and therefore cause a queue behind them every 200 yards.

Oh and can someone also remove the bus stop that is right next to the junction of my house, I can't see when I come to pull out. I was always taught not to park near to a junction but I guess it's ok to sanction buses waiting there?

David.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I saw this on the news too. They're talking about the M1 being a part of the pilot. You can't really argue with the principle, they've had one in Leeds for a few years and it seemed to encourage the regular commuters to car pool, or use the public transport alternative.

As ever though they haven't thought this through fully. The bulk of the M1 traffic is coming from/going to quite long distances for which there isn't much alternative.

To give you an idea, I travel to Hemel Hempstead every week. The 220 mile journey usually takes between 3 and 4 hours by car. I often follow the same traffic for most of the distance. If I go by train, I have a 30 minute commute for the 12 miles into York (adding to already bad congestion, even early in the morning) then a decent sub-2 hour train journey to Kings X, a quick walk to Euston in the rain (about 10 minutes, or 15 with overnight luggage etc), then hanga round for the next train to HH (usually about 20 minutes), half hour train ride to HH and 15 minutes by cab to the office, total about 3hrs 50. OK, I can get some work done on the train, and if I'm just down for a day this would be my preferred route. However, it costs about £250 + cabs + parking so I have to get a lot of work done to justify the expense. Also, if I'm staying for a few nights there is the faff of getting cabs every time I need to go anywhere (like a hotel!). It's just not something I could do all the time.

The other alternative is I pack up my family and move 200 miles away, take out a vastly increased mortgage, adding to the already huge debt burden on the UK population and exacerbating the North-South divide, forcing up SE house prices even further and give up all my disposable income (that helps keep the Yorkshire economy afloat) and stop spending on Saab-related stuff

I just wish for once that HM Govt would actually do something constructive to give the public an alternative to the car, before trying to force us out of them. What was that principle from Hitch-hikers...the man least suited to rule the universe is the one who wants to? Now there's a truism

I'm not paranoid am I? There really is no alternative. They really are out to get me

Oh well, nil illigitimo carborundum

·
Registered
970 Posts
For the life of me I can't recall where I saw this issue on television the other day.

I don't agree with the car pooling idea because whilst it could reduce the number of cars on the road, it doesn't deal with the fundamental problem - it just masks it for a later day where the probelm is much worse - (just like a pressure cooker).

The other part of the program was about speed cameras - ah yes, IIRC it was 'Tonight with Trevor McDonald'. Much of the complaints about them 'voiced' here (Ssc), over the past while were recognised by those on the program. But there is an new camera coming.

I have to agree with its implementation: that it will be a good step towards increased road safety or fairer penalties for those who break a wider range of traffic laws. It is a video camera that whilst static, records bad instances of driving in a way similar to the in-car camera of the police cars. This is a step towards road safety, which I mentioned as a better solution than speed cameras about 1 1/2 years ago. (not taking credit just pleased that it will happen).

In general, I am beginning to get the impression that this issue is about to become a major political issue where the Govt can't rip off the motorist so badly. Lets jusy hope that (as said on TwTMcD), politicians Police and councillors havent gone so far down a cul de sac, that they wont change direction for the fear of gettng a load of egg on their collective faces. Now that is one thing they could be blamed for getting wrong.

j'mo

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Well, I think it's a good idea. I lift share to work, simply to save money, but if more people did there would be less congestion during busy periods. This would make journeys quicker and less stressful - possibly making commuters more productive when thay arrive at the work place. Personally, I can't understand the mentality of people who don't share their cars for the work run as there is a very simple financial incentive.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've no personal interest in the scheme cos I'm never in the same town 2 days running. But it seems to me to be fraught with potential problems like cigarette burns in seats, B O, one person late = everybody late, reluctant conversation
. There's probably dozens more reasons why I'd be reluctant to share my car with anyone I wasn't particularly fond of - & it would take a very significant weekly bribe to persuade me. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'hire or reward' insurance clause would be triggered for drivers?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
We have had those for literally decades here in Southern California.

The "fast track" lanes do not work. End of story.

Entire fast track ride-share motorways on the otherhand ... might actually motivate people to car pool.

The simple "car pool lanes" as they are named here, do not go significantly faster than the traffic 99% of the time, and there are not enough police to keep people without passengers from clogging them up as soon as there is traffic.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Originaly posted by David Taylor

secondly, quit narrowing town roads by making pavements super wide thus removing bus layby's and then forcing buses to stop and therefore cause a queue behind them every 200 yards.  [/b]
I agree - they have just done some such in Canterbury - what was two lanes approaching a roundabout in now one and a bus lane - 90% of traffic turns left at the roundabout so you now have to be careful not to be sideswiped by bus, coach or taxi/****cab driver nor knock off the idiot cyclist who decides to turn right from the cycle lane across the traffic. They have also narrowed the curbs and put parking bays opposite where the coach and bus stops are so if a bus is dropping off, bu66er all can pass it either way and this is supposed to ease congestion....

Only other comment I would make it that if everyone car pooled then that lane would be clogged right up whilst all the others were empty..... I have to take my car to work as it is requirement of the job but if a nice young lady wanted a lift each morning........

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts