Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get CEL pretty much once every four weeks. Sometimes it goes into limp, sometimes not.

Always so far to do with the throttle (once it was emissions).

So here are the OBD results if anyone has any idea what it is?

BTW I always clear the CEL and the car then drives normally

Thx
IMG_6081.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6091.JPG IMG_6091.JPG

·
Administrator
5,104 Posts
1st point of call is to check the pins etc at h42-2 connector,located underneath the battery area..

·
Registered
46 Posts
We had the same issue with my sons Astra, all wiring was fine, removed throttle pedal and cleaned connectors, still same issue. In the end he bought 2nd hand throttle pedal from ebay, we fitted it and that sorted the issue. May have been luck but who knows.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get CEL pretty much once every four weeks. Sometimes it goes into limp, sometimes not.

Thx View attachment 52965 View attachment 52965 View attachment 52965 View attachment 52966 View attachment 52967 View attachment 52968 View attachment 52965 View attachment 52966 View attachment 52967 View attachment 52968
Sounds like you need a new accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thx View attachment 52965 View attachment 52965 View attachment 52965 View attachment 52966 View attachment 52967 View attachment 52968 View attachment 52965 View attachment 52966 View attachment 52967 View attachment 52968

·
Registered
12 Posts
The pedal and throttle position sensors are designed with a "fail safe mode". You need to find the chart/table that lists the values for the Throttle position sensors and Pedal position sensors. You can compare with your freeze frame data and determine which of the 4 sensors is faulty. A fault with these sensors will put your vehicle in Limp mode.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pedal and throttle position sensors are designed with a "fail safe mode". You need to find the chart/table that lists the values for the Throttle position sensors and Pedal position sensors. You can compare with your freeze frame data and determine which of the 4 sensors is faulty. A fault with these sensors will put your vehicle in Limp mode.

I have some freeze frame data above

Yesterday on the motorway I had one check engine after 30 mile P2135. Cleared it and carried on the rest of the 50 miles to go with no problem

On the way back it came on again after 15 miles. P2135 and additionally P1681 which my OBD reader did not have in its database. Hard to find what it means online either,

Cleared both and drove home fine

It seems a bit of a needle in a haystack problem with a lot of differing opinions ;-(

Nick

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it Throttle Body need to be cleaned.I hv the same recurring issue with P2135 on my 2.0T recently.Cleaning the TB s resolved the problem completely.

Sent from my RMX1971 using Tapatalk
I have had a look at the TB. Above the butterfly and body seems pretty clean, other people say they have seen a lot worse. I have not opened the butterfly to look deeper.

I could of course clean it anyway, cleaning spray is cheap enough. Did you take yours off to clean or did you open the butterfly on the car (battery disconnected of course!)

·
Administrator
5,104 Posts
p1681 is also in relation to the throttle aswell as P2135..As there is now 2 codes,might want to carefully push on the flap see if it's smooth or whether it's now starting to stick slightly..Maybe even give it clean(off the car).There's a gasket fitted tb/manifold..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
p1681 is also in relation to the throttle aswell as P2135..As there is now 2 codes,might want to carefully push on the flap see if it's smooth or whether it's now starting to stick slightly..Maybe even give it clean(off the car).There's a gasket fitted tb/manifold..
Thanks I will push gently on it to see.

I have to disconnect the battery of course to be safe, does this cause any electronic issues after? Does the flap recalibrate etc? I can reset most error codes with my ODB

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not that i'm aware of..
Ive seen posts on youtube that, apart from warning you about losing a finger to a powered up butterfly, say that if you move the butterfly the sensors get all confused when the battery is back on and you may need OBD to clear false codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had a look at the TB. Above the butterfly and body seems pretty clean, other people say they have seen a lot worse. I have not opened the butterfly to look deeper.

I could of course clean it anyway, cleaning spray is cheap enough. Did you take yours off to clean or did you open the butterfly on the car (battery disconnected of course!)
I took it out, otherwise u can't do a proper cleaning

Sent from my RMX1971 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts