Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Viking Saab at Watford yesterday, and spied an Abbott modified 9000 Aero in the back car park. It was an auto in silver with black leather and full wood trim, 17" Kahn alloys, Abbott suspension, Abbott stainless exhaust, 330mm AP front brake kit, colour coded door mirrors, mesh grille, privacy glass tint....probably Abbott ECU as well.
I'm guessing the car has just arrived as a part exchange because although it had a personal reg.plate on it, sitting in front of the showroom, obviously waiting for collection was a brand new 9-5 Aero estate, with sentronic, vent seats and other goodies...in silver with charcol leather...privacy glass and the same registration number number as the 9000 Aero....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
It was an auto  [/b]
Hmmmmm. I know gassy's putting 250odd bhp through his slushbox, but personally, I don't fancy the idea of putting 280odd bhp through an Autobox. Remember that the Aero manual was down-tuned to 200bhp and by several lbft of torque in order to ensure that the 'boxes lasted a reasonable number of miles.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason......don't you mean Aero auto was down-tuned to 200hp not Aero manual....

So, that would put this one at the same level as Gassy's one then.....

Actually, that's a good question, do auto Aero's have a B234R engine code and the different turbo etc., with a 'revised' ECU...or did they just have the standard 2.3FPT engine(B234L..?)...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Actually, that's a good question, do auto Aero's have a B234R engine code and the different turbo etc., with a 'revised' ECU...or did they just have the standard 2.3FPT engine(B234L..?)...       [/qb][/b]
The auto Aero had the B234L engine with the T25 turbo. The ECU was the same as the other B234L Trionic cars. Torque reduction in the B234L auto (compared to the maual) is accomplished by limiting boost. The same ECU is used regardless of manual or auto, and a boost-inhibit signal is wired to the ECU in auto cars. This boost limit can be defeated by disconnecting the signal. At least on some cars, it can be done by removing a fuse, but that stops some other things working as well.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Bill, that's what I suspected....well that it was the 'normal' B234L anyway.....

Incidently, from the description, could this Aero be the one you saw at Viking's a couple of months back....????
I was talking to one of the sales guys about mods and Saab warrenties, and he said not a problem if it's Abbott mods, refering to Ed and Giles by name, and saying any problems/concerns have always been dealt with. I got the impression Viking's have dealt with Abbott on a regular basis for some time. Regarding the warrenty issue with Abbott stuff, he said, "look at Saab City, probably one of Abbott's biggest customers and Saab City is not an independant dealer, it's owned by Saab-GB"......

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It could be the same one, but I didn't actually see it. It sounded as though it belonged to one of their regular customers. Interesting that Saab City belongs to Saab GB. I know they were one of Abbott's biggest customers at one time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts