Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My Anni has the Leather seats with the Suede inserts. Ordered some Gliptone the otherday, which when it arrived, I noticed that it said not to be used on Suede.

I'm obviously still going to use the Gliptone on the Leather, but has anyone got any suggestions on what I can use to clean and condition the Suede.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Naranto. I was considering buying some suede cleaner from a shoe shop, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable or possible damage/stain the Suede inserts on the seats.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi there,

Funny you should flag this up as I'm doing the same exact thing. My Gliptone kit arrived today as well, and I read the same text you have.

Anyway, what I did was to pop round to the local Brantano shoe thingy, and got some colour-neutral suede/nubuck cleaner. I've used it on one of the patches - it smells bad, but that fades and it does seem to bring the suede up a bit. I'm sure there's better stuff out there (this was only £2) but it doesn't seem to damage anything at least, and is an improvement over the worn and untreated original.

Will be going hell for leather (pun definitely intended) with the Gliptone tomorrow. Can't wait for that leather smell.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'll definitely do some before/after pics for everyone's benefit so you can get onto it yourselves - provided there's any difference, of course....

Also, quick update on the suede stuff from Brantano - there's still a bit of a smell from it inside the car this morning. Might be something that'll go away if it's aired out. I hope so, as the smell is not dissimilar to, erm, vomit, so proceed with care and if anyone finds another way of cleaning the suede please let me know

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi again all,

OK, I've now done the driver's seat with the Gliptone stuff. Apart from the fact that having to mask off the suede bits is a bit annoying, the results are really very good indeed. Leather feels much softer to the touch, and car now smells like a shoe shop. Be interesting to see how strong the smell is when I've done the whole thing.

I don't have time to do the whole car today (and the weather isn't really for it) but I've made before and after pictures of the driver's seat, below. You can see a difference, but they don't really do justice to the actual result, it's well worth doing.

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surfgreen,

I've been having a search on the net, and currently unable to find any type of suede cleaner/conditioner other than the stuff designed for shoes.

This concerns me a bit, as the the shoe stuff is obviously designed to waterproof and protect the suede on shoes, whereas ideally we are after some form of suede cleaner/conditioner that will soften and restore the suede to it's original condition.

I'm going to keep looking, but would be grateful of any suggestions from anyone else out there.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts