Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, after hours of thinking how the heck can I bridge the fibre optics lines in the amp without having to purchase a new one or send it off somewhere so they'll bridge it their way, I found a way to do it. And it only cost me about 30min of my time and $5, if you have the right tools of course.

1. Remove the amp from under the driver seat. Just pull the seat forward as far as it will go and unplug the amp, of course remove the torx screws holding it in.

2. Remove the screws on the side holding the top cover on.

3. Locate the two black fibre optics wires coming from the connector on the housing. They run to the center standing circuit board in the middle of the amp. Twist the locks that are holding the board on and carefully remove the middle board.

4. There are two mirrored finish plates protecting the board. Remove the upper half (the side that is facing the the connectors before removal) you will have to bend the tabs back that are holding it and remove the one side.

5. Inside you'll see the connecting unit where the fibre optics are being held. They are clipped by a black clip on each wire. With needle nose pliers, carefully grab each one and give it a twist to break only the clip. When broken, remove the fibre optic wires.

6. Go to the hardware store and purchase a small box on NM wire clips 1/2" (those are the kind that hold houseing wire to the wall. Kinda u-shaped and have two nails on the ends that can come out)

7. With a #30 drill bit (.128) remove the nails in wither end and drill out the holes with the drill bit to make them a snug fit for the fibre optics wires.

8. With a pair of dikes, cut the clip as close the middle as possible.

9. Line up the holes by inserting the #30 drill bit, insert the cut halves together so the flat part of the clips are facing each other.

10. With a soldering tool, melt the halves together only around the part you cut and the sides. You'll see a gap between the top portion, don't melt that as it will melt it too much and you'll have to start over.

11. After about a minute, remove the drill bit. Your pieces should be melted together. Insert the Fibre optic lines in opposing ends of the clip so they are coming together. It's a little tight fit which is good, this means it will not wiggle loose.

12. Replace the middle circuit board you removed and replace the cover. You can just stick the fibre optic wires in the uiit freely.

13. Plug the amp in and test.

This worked perfectly for me, bridging the connections between the fibre optics and allowing my center console to become alive again. I'll try and get some pictures up of what I did. But I think this explains pretty well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks norcalsaaber for the blue print. It probably seems a silly question but how do you unplug the to check if there is a light in the connector to check that it is the amp that is definitely broken? I have pulled the seat forward and pulled away the carpet panel that covers the wire going to the amp. It seems to go to a big black connector that pulls away from the floor. There's a little catch on the side that pulls the connector apart. I then turned on the ignition but couldn't see any red light. Have i got the right connector? What am i doing wrong?

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
You are on the right connector, to one side you should be able to see the to optical cables - one in and one out they would/should? both light up red not sure whether they do or not if the O bus is broken (disconnecting it would break the O bus).

Depending on whether or not these are supposed to be lit once disconnected the amp may not even be at fault.

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
As per Silo 24's update

Silo 24

ok, so I just looked up the wiring schematic.

The loop is as follows:

ICM->CU/PU->DVD->AMP2->AMP1->EHU->ICM

So, it appears that the ICM is outputting something as you have a light in the connector, but there is no audio data, so it looks like the EHU or the CD player is faulty.

You can remove the CD Player I believe to test if it is the issue, but i'd say it's more likely to be the EHU.

This maybe suggesting your ICM unit may be at fault?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for your helps guys. As there is no light when i turn the ignition on, presumably this means that it isn't the amp at fault? Any ideas what the fault could be? I have checked the fuses in the dashboard. Are there any others i should check?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi aerojon. The picture in the link helps a lot, thank you. I do have an amp and i was looking at the wrong connector. I was looking at the one circled in your picture. Where is the connector I should be disconnecting and what does it look like?

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
The block on the left hand side of the picture you can see two clear coated orange optical cables this is the connector you need to remove.

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
Where is the connector I should be disconnecting and what does it look like?
the connector circled yellow unclip & carefully pull out of the housing on the amp,careful not to damage the optic cable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, so i have disconnected the amp and have taken the amp out completely. I have checked the the circled connector for a red light by turning on the ignition. There is no red light. Have i done everything properly? Presumably this means that it is not the amp at fault right? Any ideas what else it could be?

amp connector.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry, that probably wasn't very clear. Here is a picture. A red light should shine through here when the ignition is turned on right? I don't have any lights :(

photo.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is a topic on this but im dammed if i can find it.if i remember some of the units go to sleep when amp1 goes u/s or is removed and need rebooting to reckognise the part has been fitted and the only way is to disconnect everything and start reconnecting from the dvd player in the boot and in order ICM->CU/PU->DVD->AMP2->AMP1->EHU->ICM
.If i find it will let you know but Deano knows his stuff on this system

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
DON'T look into the red light,as it's a LASER.

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
I have a diagram at home which shows the order each item is connected I will have a look and post up a picture, should be able to see which item has failed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts