Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
After a short time of reading many "tuning topics" here and "tuning sites"on the net,i am now fully aware of the amount of performance kits etc that are around,but this is where my problem starts.I have a 92 CS carly,that (i sure im right in saying)has the same spec as an aero,IE 225hp etc.as we all know it was only made in 92 then changed to the aero(ok the aero has lower suspension etc,but in this case that is not an issue)it seems that every tuning site i see offers parts for every 9k,but mine!.let me give you an idea of what i mean.

9000i(cc)
9000t 2.0(cc)
9000t2.3(cc)
9000i(cs)
9000t 2.0(cs)
9000t 2.3(cs)
THEN....
9000 aero.......!
NOW it seems the only bits(ecu and/or apc upgrades etc)that would encrease my 225 hp are aero parts,BUT my carly as you all know isnt trionic like the aero.I presume that all tuning parts for aeros therfore wouldnt be compatable with my car.the closest match to my car are the parts for the 9000t2.3(cc),or the pre-trionic 9000t2.3(cs),but as both are stock 200hp what would i gain from fitting anything for them!!If i havnt got all my facts right on this please dont rip me to shreads as as i say,this is how i see it.SO am i in no-mansland? thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
scminks,

Your 1992 2.3 CS Carly is 220bhp and is identical to the 2.3 CC Carly of 1991 in engine and gearbox.

None of the Aero trionic bits will work for you.

The CC and CS 2.3 Carlys are basically the same as the other 2.3T motors with 200bhp except that they have a 'red box' DI/APC conrtroller with a different boost curve.

There are only a few tuning companies that will mod these DI/APC ecus, some will give just an exchange DI/APC, other exchange both the DI/APC box and the Bosch LH2.4.x(?) ecu too.

Abbott do the single box conv but only to 230 or 240bhp, another companie that escapes me now does the 2 box one.

Maptun or speedparts will also do this conversion for you, but only if you DO NOT have TCS as apparently that can be troblesome after conversions.

Easy small gains can be made with:-

3" JT Downpipe
3" JT Exhaust
Cat Bypass pipe (if legal)
JR Air filter
JoeP / Manual boost controller (not to significantly raise boost but to remove boost taper at higher RPM)
Lightly squish the fuel pressure regulator (not to much!)

Andrew

edit: PS, I was in no mans land too with a 93 Aero, everything changed in 1994 so the few 93's are unique. I got there in the end though.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I've a 1992 CD 2.3FPT and TCS and I'm in a similar quandary, although there are a few other mods I want to get done before I start looking for power upgrades in earnest.

As far as I see it, you can hunt high and low for a combined APC and the LH Jetronic ECU upgrade or you can follow the cheap/potentially dangerous route of fitting a manual boost controller such as a Dawes device.

1) As Andrew says, these are two separate devices which were susperceded by the Trionic ECU. The APC controls boost and the Jetronic regulates fuel dosage. Obviously because these are two separate boxes speaking in different tongues, setting up each one whilst giving full respect to the other takes some doing. Because there are more Saabs out there with trionic ECU's, the tuners have left LH/APC behind.

2) Using an MBC in conjunction with a full 3" exhaust system with Race cat and high spec air filter should be good for around 245bhp on a 2.0 litre or 270bhp on a 2.3.

If you want over 300, it's gonna be a struggle to find the bits to do the job. Although I'm looking into the potential of hybrid turbos that will give the car more top end without completly killing the enormous sub 3000rpm torque that most early 2.3's seem to possess.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now i know the differences!.Andrew says about a jr filter and a joep MBC.ive got a three way MBC on mine already(the same as the ali abbott one),but the joep one is a two way.is it worth changing them?.as for the jr filter,it looks like they are direct replacements for the original OEM filter.is that ok?.as for getting rid of the cat,am i right in saying 92 was the year it was law that cars must have one ?,therefore i cant remove mine .if i could (legal wise)is it dificult to do? IE sensors etc and would there be much to gain in doing this(i presume i could use LRP)
cheers again
simon.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
scminks,

The cat bypass just fits straight up and replaces the cat. No other changes are needed and the lambda sensors stays where it is.

You continue to use super unleaded / optimax / ultimate.

The bypass pipe on my Craly has helped quite nicely with a bit more mid range pull, and about 1-2psi boost extra at the high end.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.