Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery light stays on in a '93 9K Griffin. I assume its the alternator as the battery is new and the auxillery belt is new! If I take the alt'out (as per Haynes instructions!) if I then change the brushes is that like having a new alternator or is there more to one than that! If it is, where do I get the brushes from.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right, went to work last night and as soon as I started up the battery light stay lit again, came off my driveway got 20 yeards down the road and abracadabra the light went out anmd went back to supplying 13.6v (according to my EDU) went all the way to work no problem. Came home this morning, light lit again...but this time never went out ( damn thing.....can the regulater as someone said be changed without taking the alt out? is that almost certainly what it is? Damn car so close to christmas!!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds like the diode that controls whether to take charge from the alternator or not to the battery is one the way out. You are neary there when youb mention brushes. Some alternator used to have a black box which contained both a new set of brushes and the diode. In some cases, especially Ford's it was possible to refit in situ with out removing the alterator at all, a 15 mins. job. Don't think it is that simple on the 9000 - I trust I am wrong, and it is!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Assuming your alternator was as on my previous '94 CDE, it is tucked behind the engine on Drivers side.. so hard to get at without car being on ramps or axle stands.

To check brushes and test regulator you really need to remove the alternator.

If brushes are worn down they can be changed and cost virtually pence.. but don't leave it too long as it will wear away the commutator.

The rectifer can be checked using a ohmeter, but I don't know the layout so can't advise futher on this.

The Alternator 'aint' cheap, and is a Bosch unit which also is fitted to Mercs.

Worst case scenario though, would be get your unit reconditioned via an Alternator reconditioning workshop.. but make sure they are ISO9001 quality certified (As a number have been over recent years).

But it's Xmas so I bet it's just a couple of brushes you need

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hoping for the best.. one quick check.

Make sure that all the bolts holding the alternator in place are TIGHT!

I had a loose bolt once, which caused the belt to slip without any squeeling sound, which could cause the charge light to come on.

Especially as your alternator belt was recently changed!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So noone thinks its my Regulator then? I was reading the Saab Network an american site, and for the same symptons they ay regulator which I was going to change hoping it would make the diff...but now you say this I'm worried!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking back at someof your posts before,I never checked the earthing on the Saab. What am I looking for and where oram I barking up the wrong tree, and getting confused with my cavalier, perish the thought!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It does sound like a faulty regulator -I've had exactly the same sort of behaviour on my old Cav and on my boat as well.

A good Autoelectrician should be able to do a regulator check and any work that is needed on it.

I'd get it done as soon as possible as a jammed on regulator can over charge the battery and damage it

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts