Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather worrying problem on the drive home tonight. I was going along quite happily when the battery light came on. When I flipped the display over the voltage had dropped from the normal 13.5-13.8 V value to 11.8. I kept going more worried about stopping and not being able to get going again. Then at one point when I accelarated and the revs came upto about 3500-4000 the battery light went out and the voltage was back to normal.

On getting home I restarted the engine and the battery light came on, but as before if I revved up the light went out and the voltage was normal even at idling revs.

I have a couple of thoughts. The most worrying is that the alternator is on its way out. Another thing I was wondering is whether the grooved belt isn't tensioned as high as it should be and the third thought was for a dodgy earth connection, although I think this is less likely as the problem seems to rectify with a quick burst of high revs.

The car is 1991 XS model, 2.0l NA engine.

Any thoughts or insights would be welcomed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
gordon, my '92 CDS been performing exactly the same for the last week.I have narrowly missed writing myself off whilst transfixed on the fluctuating voltage readout The drive belt is looking the worse for wear so I will replace it this weekend
But I will no doubt find that it is indeed the alternator ...now if it is only the brushes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts