Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving out of the car park from work this week the lights suddenly dimmed and the blower fan slowed considerably. The battery light was illuminated and things stayed this way for a few seconds until (apparent) normal service was resumed. Could this have been alternator belt slippage or the bearings sticking?

I have been frustrated by the poor output from my headlamps, even after fitting the replacement units which I stripped and cleaned thoroughly before fitting, things don't seem to be much improved. Is this a symptom, or do I just need better bulbs and perhaps new reflectors? I've also noticed that one of the auxillairay units is becoming quite noisy, the AC compressor was replaced at some point in the not too distant past and as far as I can tell the noise is not coming from that unit.

How easy is it to remove and replace the alternator, should I attempt this or is it best to take it in to have done. The car is still under warranty but I'm not sure if my prang at Goodwood may have invalidated it.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Symptoms suggest a slack fan belt with the short duration slipping being due to some dew on the pulleys and belt getting wiped/boiled(!) off after a few seconds. Could also be similar on brushes, especially if worn / stuck.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Could also be similar on brushes, especially if worn / stuck.  [/b]
Totally agree which can also mean the alternator is worn. Usual advice seems to be get a recon alternator but mine with similar symptoms has done several thousand miles with no complaint since replacing the brushes.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Had to replace alternator on one of mine as the car just stopped while wife was driving - well stopped after the radio, ABS light, aircon etc started to turn themselves on and off. As the car is red the wife now calls it Christine (after the film or book). Anyway, its not a difficult job worst bit is if you have the auto tensioner for the surpintine belt - in which case you need to make a metal tool to hold the tensioner compressed and another pair of hands to compress the tensioner whilst you fit the tool. Took me about 3 hours
Cost of Bosch recon alt was £140 which I thought was a good price (through a friend)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.