Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever managed to fit a different brand of high flow intercooler to the 9k?
I have been snooping around trying to work out what might fit - the 9k intercooler is quite tall but it looks as though the compartment could take a wider fitting unit.
I had a brief look at an Evo 6/7 cooler which even in standard from is a nice thick item 70mm??with plumbing in vaguely the right areas (although not as tall as the 9k) Things like these tend to go for reasonable prices as the Evo crowd upgrade to fit giant ones..and even with associated plumbing might be a cost effective option.
Also appreciated comments if this has been tried and deemed a stupid/crazy idea...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've used the Kylar Jonsson 50 mm intercooler on my white Aero.
The end tanks are a little wider than the stock IC and made the sides of the radiator support bulge out, a bit. It worked very well though. Now, I have the one sold by MapTun, but haven't installed it, yet. I was told that it should be easier than the KJ was, which wasn't really that bad. The KJ wasn't as polished and didn't look as nice as this new one, but I didn't really buy it for its' looks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So 50mm is about my max without removing the A/C cooler .. and removal would not go down well... )
I'll have a good go at measuring up to see what else may fit but most of the non-saab designed higher spec coolers are a lot thicker than 50mm so I may be stuck with Saab specific designs to get the optimum performance. As it's so critical I'm also a bit wary of buying something to 'try' it as I predict the plumbing will also be a bit of a challenge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.