Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outer part of my summer alloys is broken and look nasty. Just a small part beside, along the tyres. The big central parts are fine. Any advice how to fix those. The surface is broken and needs to scrub and paint? Any experience/suggestions.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
If the outer rim is badly chipped then you'll need to get the wheels properly refurbished by someone who can weld in new alloy. If the damage is only cosmetic then the chips can be filled in with normal car body filler.

If the wheel is very badly damaged then it may be worthwhile looking for a replacement, if only for the sake of your safety.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Jason (Mr Torque Steer)
Thank you for your reply. The outer part is not at all chipped - its is just cosmetic and doesn't look nice. How could I make it even and what type of paint I could use.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Peter Finn:
[qb]Dear Jason (Mr Torque Steer)
Thank you for your reply. The outer part is not at all chipped - its is just cosmetic and doesn't look nice. How could I make it even and what type of paint I could use. [/qb][/b]
For my super Aero wheels I used normal body filler (Plastic Padding), i.e. the same type you would use for repairing chips and dents on car bodywork. Just fill in the chips with that, use some abrasive paper to flatten the filler, starting with a coarse (rough) grit paper and working to a fine (smooth) paper.

I painted my wheels with a regular silver spray paint, I didn't use a Saab specific colour code. I left the top coat to harden for a few weeks before finishing the wheels with a clear lacquer. The results I got are OK, but having done it once as practice I'd probably do a better job next time around.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just to check Peter, you don't have the 16" Cross spoke with the polished outer rim do you?

I've seen an article in a car mag about refurbishing alloys yourself. You can buy kits to do it, but I can't remember the details. Some internet searches might find more info.

Be warned - it's one of those jobs where how nice it looks is directly related to how much time you spend on it. I think it can be very time consuming to do a good job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.