Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alarm has started draining the battery. I know it's the alarm as it doesn't drain when i leave the alarm switched off.

It's not a saab alarm but i'm no electrician so any ideas where to start looking?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'd start with the alarm

How much current does it draw? That's what I'd measure next. The quiescent current from an alarm shouldn't be much different from 30 to 50mA, possibly less.

I had a similar problem and thought it was my alarm but it was in fact the radio even though the radio was off.

In my case, the quiescent draw from the battery was about 250mA.

David.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd check the current being drained from the battery, then start pulling fuses until you find the main culprit.

I seem to remember a long time ago someone mentioning that a bad earth had caused a similar problem.

Skiddins

·
Registered
548 Posts
My car sits for long periods. When it is outside and the alarm is one, I plug in a small solar panel, and even on a cloudy day it adds a trickle charge and so the alarm will not drop the battery in say six weeks of sitting. It was a gift, but it basically just plugs into the lighter.

Otherwise my solution when the car is in the garage is just do w/o the alarm.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
ditto on the solar panel. I use a 15W one which popped up at half price from Maplin.

Anything less than this rating is a bit useless as the 1W panel can only deliver a shade over 80mA at best and the solar panel isn't going to be at the best azimuth to the sun for long enough to really make it worthwhile.

David.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys.

I left the alarm off last night and all day today and the battery has stayed fully charged. The battery is only 4 months old but then again, you can always buy a brand new dud!

I didn't realise you could get a solar panel that plugs into the *** lighter, so i may go get me one of those

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.