Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of August leaving the ferry port of St Malo & heading south, the air con failed to kick in on my CSE. Here we are on the hottest day of the year going south with no AC, what perverse law dictates these things? The prospect of 2 weeks in SW France with no AC was not one I was looking forward to. Other half sitting next to me who drives our CDS observes, "it will start in a few minutes". Now she is a great cook but car diagnostics is not one of her strong points, but she was right, about a mile on everything back to normal (without input from me) & has been ever since. Apparently our 9000CDS does this trick from time to time. The control panel was "live" ie lights on, but switches were ineffective, no forced air flow of any sort in either econ or auto positions. Has anyone any experience of this? Was this an advanced warning of a big cash drain in the future?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Hi, Dave.

A good thing to check (on both cars) is the compressor clutch gap. As the clutch wears and the gap gets bigger, it will start to fail to engage. It seems like Sod's law, but there is a reason why it is more likely to fail on a really hot day. The resistance of the windings in the magnetic clutch increases with temperature and when the under-bonnet temperature gets really high, it cannot pass enough current to generate the magnetic pull needed to pull the clutch across such a big gap. This is especially likely to happen in traffic initially. Once you get moving and get some air circulating, it will start up again.

Also, a large gap will cause rough engagement (it comes in with a bit of a "bang").

I've written up the procedure for dealing with this on my web site: http://www.saab9000.com/airconclutch.html

This may not be the problem, but it's easy to check and not too hard to fix.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill, Thanks for your input, & the very helpful info on your site, the adjustments look straight forward. (nb direct link from Saabscene doesn't appear to work)
Dave H

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It might have been that you tried at a time when there was a problem with my Internet connection. It seems to work now.

It's always a good idea to check the clutch gap anyway, as the engagement gets embarrassingly noisy when it's too large, with the engine revving too high or almost stalling and all sorts of yucky stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.