Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hej!
After an embarassing moment with the local fire brigade I need to fix my Aircon.
The belt stopped turning and burned up. A lot of smoke!
The mechanic who serviced the car said it is a common problem (electrical connection ), my saab seems to be a common problem!
Anyone experience of this, can I risk fitting a new belt or could I break the Aircon completely?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well I'd want to find which pulley has stopped before just fitting a new belt. It isn't the compressor that has seized is it? You'd have to energise the clutch before trying to turn the compressor pulley otherwise the pulley will just spin on its own without attempting to run the shaft..

David.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check the drivebelt tensioner too, you will need to remove it from the engine and fully inspect the alloy bracket. Mine went out of alignment and chewed up the edge of the belt. I replaced it with a new belt and two weeks later the whole tensioner unit snapped clean off the engine. The going out of alignment was the tensioner bracket beginning to crack and split the Saab garage told me. Common fault at around 80,000 miles I am told.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The tensioners for early 2.3's were superceeded in the mid 90's due to failing at the upper mount poiny and allowing the idler pully and belt to move away from the engine (and causing squeeling when cold (a good warning of it possible failure).

Also, the early 90's compressors can sieze if not used regularly. when this happens, and the acc kicks in the the belt start to drag over the pulley and catch fire (until you hit econ!!, and believe me you'll find that button fast.)

if the compressor has siezed, then the quick fix is not to hit econ each startup but to unconnect the bullrt connector for the magnetic clutch clipped to the compressor, that way you can fit a new belt and drive the car while you decide what to do about fixing it properly.

Andrew

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You wrote;
You'd have to energise the clutch before trying to turn the compressor pulley otherwise the pulley will just spin on its own without attempting to run the shaft..

The Aircon Pulley wont turn at all even with the bullet connection separated...the "inner" disk on the side spins freely however.

I thought it may need the strength of the drivebelt to turn the pulley?
BTW It is a 9k 2l 92' CS B202 Motor

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just to check my sanity, I popped out to the garage to try mine (it's all dismantled right now with no belt), I would say that if I blew hard enough I would be able to spin the compressor pulley.

You clearly have a compressor/clutch issue.

David.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,
I have the car stripped to fix a water pump leak, thought of doing this at the same time but I will leave it alone till spring.
I found a link with instructions for checking the clutch from a previous post.
I must say this is worth much more than my Haynes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.