Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question :

How easy is it to remove the airco radiator on a 1992 CD 9000 2.3 Turbo ?

It's blocking airflow to the intercooler and radiator.. and I reckon by removing it.. it will make a brilliant difference to cooling the car.

Can I just disconnect it from the compressor, and leave the pipes in situ ?

The Airco doesn't work right now anyway.. infact the airco compressor is goosed... and I suppose I don't really need airco.. so is this possible without ripping everything out?

Also.. has anyone ever relocated the horn to another location.. and if so where?.. it strikes me that it doesn't help cooling airflow either sitting where it is.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Don't know if moving the horn would make even marginal difference in heat transfer with the radiators, but removing the AC condenser is an elementary matter. This doesn't mean it will be easy, but....the first thing you must do is remove the plastic air dam beneath all the radiators. This is probably the most difficult part because the fasteners which hold it in place are very susceptible to road salt, hence corrosion. Once the plastic is removed, disconnect the refrigerant line at the bottom, then the two small (10 mm?) screws at the bottom of the condenser - these hold the condenser to the intercooler. Remove the front grille and the drivers' (UK) side headlamp assembly - this will afford you room to disconnect the top refrigerant line to the condenser. Lastly, disconnect the front fan from the condenser, 3-10 mm screws, I believe. That's it, the condenser should easily drop down out through the bottom.....HTH

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Better advice than I could have given, I would have tried taking out backward and up...

If you're lucky, you will not have a front fan.

Someone else on here was asking the other weekk how eas it was to add an intercooler (a similar operation but in reverse, why not search down the post and PM them to see how difficult that was.

Andrew.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The physical removal is as suggested... what I'm not sure of however is the gas... I think that at rest there is negligible pressure in the system. And there's also the fact that it's probably illegal to release such gasses in to the atmosphere...

Removing the A/C rad will indeed make a very significant improvement to cooling. Having renewed everything else and using water wetter and drilling some holes in the wheel arches and raising the back of the bonnet by about 5mm, I don't have any probs on normal roads now, although I would turn the aircon off if I really booted it. I can't remember how much of yours was new, Mark and whether you've flushed the rad, which if done properly can make a big difference.

On the track however it was still running fairly warm, even with the grille off (about the point where the fan cuts in) but not going any higher. For future track use I intend to get some extra large spacers (say 20mm) made up for the rear of the bonnet and longer bolts I may also fit the electric water pump as a booster.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my airco system has long been without gas in it.

Is it okay to leave the compressor and hoses, etc in situ, and drive around without the airco radiator ?

Will the heating and ventilation systems still operate etc?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
MarkA, do not know if this will be useful or not, but when the compressor failed on my 9-3 - the dealer replaced the belt with a shorter one that bypassed the aircon compressor. The in car ventilation still works - you just do not get the benefit of the cold air.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Bit slow to reply to this on the front panel/inner wing area it should say what type of gas your system is charged with! if it says R12 it's a no-go for releasing this gas into the atmosphere but if it says your system is charged with 134A (I suggest it will be) it is OK to let this gas go into the atmosphere as it is not harmfull to the O-Zone layer! If 134A just find one of the filling points on the pipes and push a screwdriver type implement into the valve to release the gas (same as letting a tyre down) before removing the Radiator.
As for the belt,if no signal is sent to the pump to engage the clutch (with no gas it won't do) the pump pulley will just act as a free wheeling pulley and will not take any power off the engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts