Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please chaps - where is the air recirculation flap? I took the cover of the false bulkhead, then took the pollen filter out. I found the air temp lever to the right of the pollen filter housing and what looked like a motor on the top left of the housing which I think is attached to the air recirculation flap - only mines dosnt move . Amount of air out of the back vents is the same regardless of position of the air recirculation switch - any ideas?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The recirc flap is controlled by a motor which is positioned to the offside of the car "down behind" the pollen filter. If you look down near the driver's side wiper linkage you will see one silver motor, about the size of a big match box. The shaft of the motor plugs straight into the end of the recirc flap. The motor is attached to a small black bracket. Note that the motor is different from the two under the dash inside the car, as it has no positioning capability, it's either on or off. The motors are made by Bosch.

I have changed one of these motors, but you need great patience, long thin fingers and a sense of unbridled optimism. If I remember correctly, I removed the motor and bracket together as you cannot get at the screws that secure the motor to the bracket in situ. You need to loosen some of the aircon equipment to allow a tiny bit more access. You need to operate the motor to orientate the shaft, so that you can plug it back into the end of the flap shaft. This bit was more than frustrating. Allow plenty of time.

I'm confused by your "back vents" comment. Which vents are you refering to?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was talking about the vents on the hatch i.e. air expelled from car to atmosphere - when in recirculation mode no air drawn into car hence no air expelled, when not on recirculation air drawn in is expelled through rear vents so its easy to tell which position the recirculation flap is in.

Will the air-con calibration thing log an error if the recirculation flap is stuck?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
In addition to the "rear vent test", there are two other tests you may care to do. In a quiet moment (engine off, fan turned to low) you should be able to hear the recirc motor run as you turn recirc on/off. With the fan on maximum, you should notice a difference in the sound of the airflow inside the car as the recirc flap closes/opens.

The climate control unit will not log an error as it has no way of knowing whether the motor is functioning or not. It simply applies power to turn the motor one way or the other, the motor then rotates until the flap reaches one or other end position.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great thanks for that Mark. Why didnt I check townsend and always telling others too!!

I tried moving the flap with my hand but couldnt get it to move - at the mo its verticle and I tried to move the bottom of it towards the front of the car - maybe I should have pushed it away from me.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to push, pull or indeed levitate the flap. The drive motor has an integral gearbox which you will not be able to drive "backwards" due to the very low gearing.

Test the motor resistance, as described by Townsend, and if it's broken resign yourself to a challenging and character building job! Magnetic tools, or tools with glue or blutack on the end will help.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts