Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at some air/liquid IC set ups -amongst which Abbott's one which is not designed to take high boost, and Sweedspeed who basically weld a thick alloy plate around an '85 aluminium OE intercooler, something dawned on me.

As a 'proper' liquid/air IC can be pretty small in size, why not take one that is, say, 4.5 x 4.5 x 10" (Spearco has one that size) and weld it into the turbo - throttle body pipe of a non-intercooled 900? That would eliminate one nasty 180 degree and two 90 degree bends in the flow path, which should make for seriously decreased throttle lag.

I haven't seen that set up yet in a c900 where most OE applications do have the air/liquid IC core close to the plenum, with very short and unrestricted flow paths. Any flaws in my thinking that it might be the way to go - and suggestions about a suitable (read: low-cost) core?

I would be looking for something like this:

--->[ IC ]--->

rather than the up-and down flow like Abbott's IC.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hmmm, a nice idea and one that would suit my 99 turbo well I think. Can't think of any obvious downsides. Mind you, I'm no expert

As regards suitable chargecoolers, would you be looking to modify a standard intercooler by welding a water jacket round it? If so I can look in my Nissens intercooler catalogue and see what's about (they rather helpfully provide dimensioned drawings and application lists for all their intercoolers.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If so I can look in my Nissens intercooler catalogue and see what's about (they rather helpfully provide dimensioned drawings and application lists for all their intercoolers.  [/b]
Would be much appreciated, although I'm not sure whether a 'converted' air/air IC that small would have a comparable cooling efficiency to a purpose-designed liquid/air IC core of the same size. maybe someone else could shed a light on this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The inside of a charge cooler isn't the same as just wrapping a water jacket round a standard intercooler. I believe the pace site (paceproducts.co.uk) have some cutaway drawings.

They operate similar to a radiator matrix, but in reverse, the air is cooled by the water core. This produces a design with virtually zero pressure drop across it. As much a consideration as the charge cooler is the sizing of the radiator and pump to try and cool the water down again.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, well - thanks for checking anyways...

Think I'll hold back on this as a next-season enhancement rather than a part of finishing the project right now, anyways. It might have to wait forever, depending on how much of a problem the current configuration turns out to be for finding consistent power on set up, and how often I lunch my gearbox using said power output...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts