Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picking through my Maptun Stage 4 9k Aero spec and was wondering whether the 'open-air kit' with the cone filter will really make much difference. http://www.maptun.com/webshop/pics/910.jpg

I already have a nice ITG filter with a 3.3" dia hole in the airbox and a large funnel untake (opens to about nearly 5" at the funnel mouth)

The reason I ask is that most of the tuners do seem to move to the open air kit above for higher states of tune - but I guess it's not very slick for them to tell you to dig out the drill and cut up the orginal airbox.

Anyone moved from a hacked standard airbox/performance filter to this type of kit and noticed an improvement?

Also reluctant to put that horrible blue connecting tube under the bonnet!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I run an air filter just like that, but I fitted it purely for the noise (apologies to those readers of a more discrete nature) and because the ITG filters were out of stock at the time.

I can't believe there is anything for you to gain over a holy (?) airbox.

As for the blue tube, if you do change to one, it's only a piece of aluminium - rub it lightly and paint it black!

Carl

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The MapTun dealer in Oz has the original airbox (and snorkel!) still in place.. with his Stage 4.... car goes very well, and dyno's over 300bhp with the setup.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers - I'll keep with stage 4 but with my current airbox for the time being. I may even go and get it dynoed when its all done just to see... Interesting you can get 300odd even with the snorkel on!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
he is only running a K&N filter in his airbox.. i was talking to him about snorkel removal, and he said he was going to look into it...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would highly recommend removing the snorkel and drilling a few more holes. I would keep the stock air filter, although I have used K&N's - they don't really do a great job filtering, until they get dirty. I remember Dr. Boost commenting on tests that were done with various filters and the Saab filter performed the best at filtering. The snorkel and the lone hole is the major restriction. The only drawback is louder induction noise under throttle and from the BPV. The front half of the fender liner has to be removed to get at the snorkel and cover.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have just drilled the holes and removed the snorkel in mine. Nice noise but....under certain light to medium throttle situations I get a howling noise from the front passenger footwell area (rhd car). Anyone else experienced this? I hope it is the airbox and not gearbox bearings giving up? I have been giving it plenty of
since the airbox and Speedparts exhaust upgrades.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Reminds me of Casablanca and "You do know how to whistle... you just put your lips together and.."

by now you've either got it sussed or in all the bars in all the places you just had to drill it here to get that one note!

The note is a marginal harmonic by your description. Try taping off one hole at a time and check the performance -yes you'll probs need a dry day while the wheel well liner is removed although you'll probs also need to replace it as it will radically alter the resonance surrounding the problem.

Thanks zeke for the detailed comments as this has just saved me spending a lot of money on a shorter engine life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts