Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my concerns with my conversion was that the supplied jr filter was not adequate for the horsepower..
I was assured that it was but always had some doubts..
So when I was replacing the bottom spoiler I noticed that a split had developed in the base so...
opportunity to change it
I sourced a ITG Maxogen foam filter and fitted it this weekend (jc 60 )
It is rated at 500 hp and quite a lot larger
It just fitted in the wing cavity ..I had to hack a couple of inches off the tube to get it to fit ...
result ?
It Idles !!!
Idling vacuum reading is about .2 bar less
The response is very much better with a lot of the lethargy taken away...
boost comes up a lot earlier (maybe as much as 500 rpm lower) and the car seems a lot livelier...
Well pleased
I am guessing its giving me another 30-40 hp
but the rollers will tell..
Really looking forward to the vernier cam sprockets to get the last missing horsepower

hweeehayyyy....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hard to believe the change in filter makes such a difference at the low end too. My ITG (standard shaped one) made quite a difference to standard and just looking at it, you can see why but I would have thought the biggest change would be higher rpms?? I'll be impressed if you get 30-40bhp from a filter upgrade, but hope the road session goes well!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I ditched my opti-flow setup with the JR filter today for the abbott intake kit, so have that spare (&free) if anyone wants to collect it from me ? (drop me a pm if you do)

Has def helped with low end torque, cant really tell if it helps top end as I had some other
bits added too

I also saw bubbles back there again !

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The Abbott kit helps develop torque low down the rev range- it's all about air flow patterns and stuff (that's why the OEM have those snorkels).

As I understand the theory, a low resistance open air filter will definitely help top end power, but ducted arangements generally help bottom end torque.

·
Registered
21 Posts
30-40hp from just an air filter sounds too good to be true, sounds like marketing b.s. to me. if so much flow was to be used youd need big injectors/ fuel pumps/ etc to meet the demand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by stealthbomber:
[qb]30-40hp from just an air filter sounds too good to be true, sounds like marketing b.s. to me. if so much flow was to be used youd need big injectors/ fuel pumps/ etc to meet the demand. [/qb][/b]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he already has all of the above and is pushing around 380 HP.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all of the above...
630 cc injectors
gttb30 turbo
hi-flo i/c
big valve head
ported and gas flowed
lightened and balanced crank
match weighted con rods and pistons
shot peened conrods
lightened flywheel
ylee induction pipe
should be 450...only 380 ish last dyno
still looking for the missing
hence the airfilter ..imho its much less resistant than the origonal ..the seat of my pant is telling me there is a difference therefore my surmise the diff is about 10 % ..30 -40 hp ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts