Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,ve just bought a 9000CSE (K reg '93 100Kmls)and the air con doesn't seem to be cooling adequately. I've mentioned it to the dealer I bought the car from but they said it wasn't a refridgerator. I've double checked with the hand book and I'm sure I've set the controls right. All the usual stuff, windows up etc. but it still feels cooler with the air con off and the windows open. How cool should it be? It's the standard air con, not the auto climate control.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
After 7 years and 100k miles, your air-con may be due for a recharge. Cost is, I think, in the region of £80. A dealer or decent independent should be able to give the a/c a 'health check' for not much more.

HTH

James

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard a tip recently re; Saab air con.
You can check that the aircon pump seals are o.k. the following way;
Look at the area around the V-belt pulley on the pump unit. ( Usualy situated to left of radiator , as you stand in front of car,looks a bit like an alternator with coolant pipes going into it)
If the pump seals are leaking there will be signs of an oil mist spay near the pulley.
This would look dirty black with grime fairly quickly. If the seals go you will gradually lose gas & therefore cooling power over time. My own car has these symptoms & the aircon is pretty feeble. Question is how long will a recharge restore the cooling for? I've yet to spend the dosh to find out.
An engineer friend states that any decent refridgeration engineer( see yellow pages) should be able to do a recharge for a fraction of the cost of Saab main dealer. Again I've yet to confirm this. Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you have a leak of refridgerant, a recharge will not last long. I had my system re gassed shortly after getting the car, and the during the first long run the cooling rapidly declined due to a leak on the compressor to evaporator hose (rubber / union joint)

At the compressor, there are 2 connection points for gas and oil, and they are different sizes. Some independants don`t have the appropriate adaptors. I believe the correct way is to evacuate the system and leave it that way for some minutes with a vacuum gauge attached to test for leaks. If you have any, reach for the credit card -aircon components are expensive ! I think its a question of checking exactly what the engineer proposes to do....

·
Registered
139 Posts
William - if you have a look at the top of the A/C compressor next to the plastic connector in its clip, there should be a silver label on it. On this is the serial no, SAAB part no and the oil capacity of 135cc. So yes it has a supply which should be checked when the system is re charged.

Also look at the large hose from the comp to the evaporator which should have the gas code such as R12 on it. You may have a different gas recommended as these refidgerants are updated, but I don`t know the current SAAB recommendation - does anyonelse ?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree about R12. I have just had the ACC on my 1991 2.3 CSE turbo converted, from R12 to R134A, checked and recharged for £95+VAT. I am embarrassed to admit that the ACC had never worked in the 4 + years I've had the car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts