Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 2.3 CSE Turbo 5-sp.
Travelling between Bristol and London, and I got as far as Hounslow, when clouds of smoke suddenly appeared from under the bonnet. Managed to pull in fairly quickly to discover that this was coming from the AC compressor. Left the car, and abandoned the trip to London, the family had lunch, while, the smoke cleared and the compressor cooled. Very civilised, too (!).

On my return, a quick look around the bay showed liquified grease had been thrown from the pulley. Judging by the noise that comes from the compressor - now running the car with the AC off - I suspect that its bearings have given up the ghost after 168k. Obviously, for me, in any instance, this is a job that I cannot do, but is the compressor serviceable, or does it mean that I'll have to fork out for an replacement? Are their re-con units available, Has this happened to anyone else out there? Has anyone any idea how much I should expect to pay for this job?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a PS, I went to start the car up this morning, to find that the drive belt had been thrown off, so 'svenenna' is staying home, until I can book her in for work.
Would welcome any thoughts and input about this whole saga.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 91 Carlsson at 195k. I'd been driving for about 15mins at 110kph before I hit a town, had to slow down and noticed the smoke. The compressor had seized and the belt was slipping.

We were able to remove the belt easily as it was nearly melted through, and assumed that because no other part of the engine was going to run off the belt had it been there, there would be no problem going on with our trip. Just made sure the climate control was off. Drove another 400km before I got to my mechanic for him to fix.

When I got there he said best thing to do was replace it. But there's quite a bit of work involved as you have to replace more than just the compressor. He replced a whole lot of stuff near the dash, including the air filter (for the air conditioner). Ended up costing about AUS$2000. You don't have to go Saab genuine though. My mechanic used a similar unit from the same manufacturer that makes the genuine one for about 2/3 the price. It's really cool now though!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that.

Booked the car on for a service anyway today, and broke down on the way in! The compressor seized, and threw the drive belts off. No point in trying to limp in as the PAS, alternator, compressor and most importantly, the water pump, are on the same drive. Got a recovery tow straight away.

Estimate for a new compressor £400 - 500 + VAT, salvage I've been quoted £95 + VAT.

I'm having a shorter drive belt to by-pass the defunct compressor. There isn't much call for AC in Bristol during the winter.

Do any of you boffins out there have any idea where I might find a cheaper replacement part?

·
Registered
12 Posts
get 'Trade-It' and look in the 'Saab' section. there's a tel no for a place in Hanham that sells 2nd hand saab parts. also a place in st phillips area. should be able to find them also in Saab section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.