Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for BillJ air cond compressor with belt off how hard should it be to turn the compressor with a spanner, should it turn with little effort, and with the clutch engaged should it be hard to turn. The reson i ask is when i got the car from my departed relative he had taken the belt off the air cond because he moaned that it gave him nasal problems, now i know it was working ok when the belt came off as i took it off for him, now when i checked the comp with a spanner it is fairly easy to turn with the spanner with air cond off but know diff with it switched on. i am thinking of getting a re gas done but need to know if with the ignition on but engine off should the compressor clutch come on,or is the comp u/s, i cannot hear the clutch click on or off when better half turns on the a/c climate control.
thanks in advance colin

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
When the ACC is in ECON or the AC is OFF, the clutch should be disengaged and the pulley will just "freewheel" with no resistance to turning. When the ACC is on AUTO or the AC is ON, 12V is applied to the magnetic cluch causing it to engage. The pulley will then be turning the compressor which should be fairly stiff to turn. I don't know just how stiff though but quite a lot.

There is a pressure switch in the system which prevents the 12V being applied to clutch if the refrigerant pressure is too low. So if the compressor hasn't turned for a long time it is likely that the seals have gone hard and the refrigerant leaked out in which case the pressure will be low and the clutch won't operate.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Giving 12volts to the wire that comes out from the clutch should be enough, since the compressor body is grounded. Just take the tension from the battery +.

Anyway, compressor clutches seldome give problems. But, if the compressor has been sitting for long (a couple of years?), then it could be siezed. Good luck.

·
Registered
765 Posts
microcat,

rule no 1, never completely switch off your ac,if you do not like ac you have prob, but I have been told to run the ac at least once a week to stop it seizing. Its a pity saab never changed it so you could select it to start up on econ rather than ac.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Its a pity saab never changed it so you could select it to start up on econ rather than ac[/b]
You can, and my Carly is set like this as it has no Gas (r12), and when it's raining I kept forgetting to select econ instead of auto before the car had misted up (you don't get recirc on econ unless you select it).

I can't remember the 2 buttons to press to program it at the moment though.

What I did was start car (starts in auto).
Pres econ once (and nothing else)
Pressed the magic 2 buttons.
Done.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Unless like Andrew your AC system has no gas in it, it is not a good idea to programme the ACC to ECON. As you may know the AC system should be run for at least 10 minutes a week to keep the seals in good order and to stop the compressor from seizing up. If you don't want the AC to run, leave it on AUTO and switch it to ECON manually. Then at least the AC will always get some time on every time you start the engine, whereas if you set it to permanent ECON you'll probably forget to run it often enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.