Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at it, it looks like I'll have to remove the compressor to get the head off.

Reading the Haynes procedure for removing the water pump, they suggest that you can undo the compressor and move it out of the way without disconnecting the pipes. Can anyone confirm that this is possible? Will this be good enough to remove the head?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Headlight is already out On this subject, I'm wondering (and I admit I haven't read the procedure yet)...

When you remove the head, where's the easiest place to split the exhaust? Do you detach the manifold from the head and leave the turbo, manifold and downpipe in place? Or do you detach the manifold from the turbo and remove it with the head?

Also, do you need to support the turbo and downpipe somehow?

Ta

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can get the head off with the turbo and manifold still attached - just split at the downpipe connection.

It's heavy and a tight squeeze but it means you can work on the nuts/bolts/studs on the bench, which makes life far easier. You can also position the studs vertically and drip Plusgas down them.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, that sounds like a good way to do it. I guess I just have to make sure that the water and oil feeds to the turbo are disconnected. Can't picture if the actuator will come out with that lot, but if not I suppose I just have to unclip the rod.

I am also wondering about the pros and cons of removing the inlet manifold attached to the head as opposed to splitting the two.

It's a question of which is more of a PITA - getting to those hard-to-reach manifold bolts, or disconnecting and labelling all the hoses and pipes that connect to the manifold?

·
Registered
765 Posts
The only pipe that you need to disconnect re: the turbo is the coolant pipe connected to the right-hand side of the cylinder head, the turbo is supported by a bracket connected to the block.

A u-bend 13mm spanner for the turbo bolts is best tool here, remember when lifting head to plug turbo inlet with rag etc. Inlet manifold I unbolted this, this is the ultimate PITA job and is the 1 that takes the longest, I think Adrian leaves it on ? would like to know myself how this is done.

HTH Haggag01

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.