Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1996 9K Aero with a knackered aerial mast. Motor works still but mast is benter than a nine bob note, ordered an aftermarket "Scantech" aerial mast off the ebay and it came and looks almost identical to the one it's replacing. On going to fit it though the diameter of the mast itself is too large to fit into the motor body itself and the black retaining screw that should fit over the aerial mast that holds it onto the motor bdy also doesn't fit.

Now before I get my money back surely Scantech aren't selling aerial masts that are never going to fit in a month of Sundays......are they????!!!!! Or am I doing something wrong....though what that could be I really don't know as its a size issue. :mad:

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Ah... gotcha. As it happens, I was swapping the aerial mast on my newly acquired Aero this weekend and found that the top of one mast was just slightly larger than the other, meaning that the retaining nut wasn't intercahngeable. AFAIK both were OEM.

It would therefore seem that there has been some "tolerance" over the years. Sorry that doesn't help solve the problem but it may help explain it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked again but definitely won't fit!

Not sure what to do next, I guess sending it back to seller would be a start but I still can't believe that they'd make and sell something that didn't fit!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Take care if you are buying a second-hand unit. The mast was broken on my Aero when I bought it and as the idea of simply replacing the mast never crossed my mind, I sourced a used aerial unit from the local scrapper's. When I got the old one off, I found that despite the two units being very, very similar, the aerial lead jacks built into the aerial bodies are totally differant and the aerial lead won't fit. I had been trying to find an adaptor, but now I've see the mast swapping tip - I'll give that a try!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as an update I managed to source a mast from the main dealer for £8 but it didn't fit. Spoke to them and they have told me the ones that fit have been discontinued....so now I'm f*cked!

·
Registered
969 Posts
There are a number of full units and masts on the bay of bits. This looks very much like the one I bought a couple of years ago and fitted without any problems.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-SAAB-900-900...=item20b1bb763d

If you don't fancy trying another mast there are the second hand full units.

PS Just found my old one in the bag in the garage (no idea why I kept a broken mast) and it looks like the same part no, GM part 1 # 400110052

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Main Dealer have today told me the part no. that they think should fit is 400110136 but these have been discontinued. Fulham Saab some old discontinued stock of them though so I have asked them for a quote for postage and I'm awaiting a response, finger crossed!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any news on the mast you tried to source Scrappy? I just bought one from NEO Brothers but have the same problem as you - too big for the retaining nut and mast retainer - only fractions but still too big dammit !!! This after removing the motor and removing the plastic toothed tail that had broken off - still this needed doing regardless. My past is now in the fully extended position just waiting for someone to snap it off !

On another note im getting interference on the radio - particulary on medium wave which is virtually un-listenable unless the car is stationary. FM is better but loses its signal frequently. Anyone know what could be causing this

·
Registered
116 Posts
Suffered the exact same problems with my97 9000, replacement mast, aerial, plastic tooth strap etc... Went to GSF and got a BERU electric aerial for a BMW but with plenty of auxillary bits and bobs i.e. almost universal fit. The sales guy said it should fit, i did take the old unit with me to compare.
Retained old unit and fitted the beru with a little cannibalisation, recycled mount hardware and a new rubber spacer washer. Think it was around £26. Been working for 3 yrs now no probs at all. But the mast is silver if u can live with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problems. The tip at the end of the mast can be screwed off or you can file it down. All the sliding sections can be removed once you have managed to take the aeriel off the motor. Once you have separade the sections just replace the section from the one that has the geared plastic upwards or from the point where the new ones will fit the old aeriel. Allow plenty of time Good Luck!!!.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.