Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently amassing the bits to fit an aftermarket EFI system to my 912, and it's got me thinking about potential Saab applications. The C900 in particular seems a good candidate. Has anyone else given it much thought? Eric?

I'm using the Gotech system, and it looks incredibly versatile. It's fully mappable (using a PC), and can also control ignition timing. Inputs can include a knock sensor and boost pressure, so one could effectively incorporate the functions of the APC, fuel injection and ignition all in one.

Not that I've the time to do it, but it's an interesting proposition. Comparatively cheap, too, although to really make the most of it you need a fair bit of dyno time to optimise the system.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Great idea for the C900's rather simple MFI system. However, even the Trionic 5 was vastly more sophisticated. I'd never replace a Trionic with this. It doesn't utilize Ionization gap sensing, it only "monitors" lamba and would not adapt or self tune on a daily basis like the Trionic cars do. Still ... it would overcome MANY of the C900's Bosch shortcomings. Thanks for pointing it out. Any idea what the prices run? I don't really want to send it for a price quote just yet.

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, you wouldn't want to rip out a Trionic. But for a 900, a pre-trionic 9000 or even a 99, this would be worth a go.

Cost for the Gotech bits was around R2,200 - a shade under $350. Even when you add the cost of the various bits of junkyard FI systems I've had to cobble together (not much, admittedly), plus a bit of labour to set it up right, the whole lot should cost much less than the original plan of a pair of 44IDFs - and should be much more tuneable.

Back to Saabs, though, the real attraction is that the system duplicates the knock-protection function of the APC, and can also limit boost and thus prevent spiking caused by an MBC or somesuch. Hmm, I'm getting all sorts of ideas here.

Cheers

James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts