Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ive had this baby 5 days and I can see why you guys like em, a totally different kettle of fish from the Carlsson, a much smoother ride and a lot sharper handling, The cars great for the money I paid, but I can see some big bills on the horizon maybe I should be a little less fussy and wait for things to break rather than prempt them, but as the first 5 days have gone by the lists got long, I could just do with my Carlsson shooting up on Ebay

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just been out in the Carlsson after playing in the Aero all week...The Carly feels quicker/a lot more sporty, everything in the Aero seems a lot calmer,the power delivery is smooth and effortless the road holding is a lot less twitchy and it certainly is a bit of a road muncher, I went over to Leeds today and got called back to Preston because my son had cut himself at school, I won't say how fast I hit (even with a hole in my exhaust)but it felt very sure footed and confident, I pulled off the motorway and my front tyre blew out(kinda makes you think)
But you can rest assure on one thing like the Carlsson its going to cost,to get it into tip top condition, new exhaust ordered from Elkparts, when I get confirmation of a delivery date its going in for a full service,clutch and cylinders,new head gasket etc, need to get the basics spot on before the tweaky bit go on.

The Carlsson is still doing okay on Ebay (around 32 bids) and I have had around 10 offers to close the auction early, one things for sure I'll miss the carlsson its been great fun over the last few years,its suprised a few boyraces (I'm an old racer) and Ive enjoyed every minute of it,The new owner whoever it maybe will get a fantastic car and it will be worth every penny I can squeeze out of them

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi MPEN

I had a red 1990 Carly that looked a lot like yours and also in VGC but not quite as good as yours and standard with no aircon.

I got £1500 for it by having Hagstrom saab in Norwich sell it although it took months. By the way I can no longer access their website - Have they stoppped trding?)

I too now have a standard 1996 Aero with nearly 90K. Its excellent and I am also thinking of improving it's get up and go because like you I think that whilst its oh so much smoother and still quick it is not such raw in your face fun as the Carly was which seemed to operate on a sort of on (stupidly quick) or off (normal) way. So if I could spare £500 towards making it quicker what would you suggest I do and where should I get the stuff from.

Thanks

Julian

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi JD
there are a lot more knowledgeable Saabist on here to answer that question..but this is what I am going to do

Before I start anything the car is going in next week for a Full service all fluids changing, new clutch/master/slave cylinders,poly bushes and engine mountings, cylinder head off, checked ,skimmed. JT system with cat bypass, then down to the rolling road to see if the ECU has been messed around with, then its a deision on a Abbott or Speedparts ECU and bleed valve.

I have already changed the filter for an Itg and a bailey dump valve.

The discs are already grooved and seem reasonable for what I use the car for, I have had an offer of lowered springs & Konis but I haven't decided on that route yet, a lot will depend on if my wife has castrated me at this point

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by JD:
[qb]I got £1500 for it by having Hagstrom saab in Norwich sell it although it took months.  By the way I can no longer access their website  -  Have they stoppped trding?[/qb][/b]
I phoned them for a part price last week:

Saab Hagstrom Ltd
37 Salhouse Rd Rackheath
Norwich
Norfolk
NR13 6PD
Tel: 01603 722031

They're still there, but their website has disappeared or moved!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
JD,
I'm sure BillJ and a few others will be along shortly to offer their own thoughts, but mine would be:-

Firstly it depends on what you want to and can afford to spend....

After that I'd suggest, 1st thing is sort out suspension and/or brakes then go for more grunt.

For suspension I think the general concenous is Abbott Racing have the best knowledge in this department and offer the Koni/up-rated springs, poly bushes, LSD, etc.
For brakes, erm... well it seems we're still waiting for info from Godspeed about Saab fitting kits, otherwise it's Abbott again or TrentSaab.

For extra ooopmh.... and ECU upgrades, then Speedparts (via Elkparts) and Maptun seem to offer the best bang for buck option, although a Speedparts or Maptun ECU with other parts from the Abbott catalogue could be a good combination.

But for just £500...that's difficult, that would get you a Speedparts ECU, but really, extra grunt on a standard, and possibly worn, Aero suspension is not a great idea....
http://www.elkparts.com/store/erol.html#978x0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.