Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Went for a test drive in an aero today and I just wanted a few tips from you guys who are regular pilots of these things. i drive a 2.3 cse at the mo and the improvement in performance was startling. The car was manual..a few questions
1) the gear change was not baulky but felt slightly notcy through the gate..is this normal?
2) There appeared to be an appreciable amount of kickback at the wheel. My cse can hit major potholes or ridges with nothing nasty felt at the wheel..the Aero was a bit jumpy..is this ok?
3)The acceleration was wonderful but the wheels span very asily in second (good tyres) is this usual.
Cheers for any tips...anybody got a black one as I think I'm smitten.

Anthony

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi

I've got an Aero (96MY) and I find the gearchange to be silky smooth, certainly compared to Carlsson. Sorry but can't say I've noticed the wheel kicking in any way. Whels do spin a lot in second and you just can't drive it quick in that gear if its wet. I love the car. Quick but oh so refined.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Notchy gear change....might need a bit of adjustment. Mine was a bit notchy after Abbott Racing replaced my master cylinder last year, but when I picked the car up after it's annual service (by Saab dealer) it was fine. So I can only assume they had found this and adjusted something?!
Kick back....can't say I've noticed this, could be worn butterfly bushes on front suspension, was the case on mine when I bought it, had Abbott Racing fit their polyurethane ones as replacements.
Wheel spin....not such a problem in mine as I've had a Quaife LSD installed by Abbott Racing, expensive, yes, but well worth it. Fortunately TCS wasn't widely available on Aero's as I hate it with a vengance, rather have an LSD anytime.
Go on, you know you want one, they are worth it just for the seats alone..

Trouble is you'll want to make it even quicker......

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anthony,
Comments on my 170,000 Aero:
1. Gearchange should be very smooth, I suppose the gate could be described as notchy, but you would really have to try to miss a gear
2. Mine is also like this (wife has CSE and i know what you mean)
3. If i turn the traction control off mine also wheelspins in 3rd in wet as turbo boost comes in

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all
I've decided that my sole mission in life now is to find my dream car..black with black leather aero. If anyone spots a decent one (around M or N reg with sensible miles) will they give us a shout.Got about 5500 to spend.
Thanks enviously
Anthony

·
Registered
776 Posts
AnthonyB/.

May be old news, but saw an advert for what looked like an immaculate black 2.3 Turbo Carlsson at Cromwell SAAB,(London area) a bit older, 1991, but a lot less that £.5500 too, with 96K, top spec etc..
Sorry if its not still current. let me know?.
Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.