Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta tell it right now! I have just taken delivery of a 97 Aero in silver with black interior. What a beauty, I have been driving the country lanes around my neck of the woods all afternoon....bliss! And the seats are so comfortable too. I might take a digipic and post it on the site for all to see.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=18263

I love the seats also....I'm slowly coming round...there is NOOOOOOOOO way I would remain married if I bought another car!!
CD Carlsson, 9000 Carlsson, 900 Carlsson, 900T 16S Convertible...this is getting daft even thinking about it....
I'm off to join Saab Anonymous, hello my name is Mark and I'm a Saabaholic..help me please!

·
Registered
368 Posts
yer once bittern blah blah i did same thing. i had ,still got 9000 2.3t 200bhp. i saw a 9000 black aero full history i had to have it drove over 480 miles to see it then drove back to get it what can i say . IT WOZ WELL WORTH IT with the dept too

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am glad to see that I am not alone in my SAAB mania. My wife just rolls her eyes and warns me to keep off EBay. I have a 9000 2.3i and a 9-3 lpt conv. I am not allowed to change the 9000, I would like to get a 9000 2.3T/aero, but SWMBO thinks that the velour 9000 seats are the most comfortable in the world and the leather seats of the 9-3 are not a patch on them. I am trying to convinced her that I would be doing a public service if I got another 9000, to preserve it for the future - not much luck so far, but long runs the fox!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought me a '96 Aero off e-bay a month ago with
196K on the clock and a full service history-with Abbots from 100K.With the exception of water getting in the boot I'm still well chuffed-it's the second best car I've ever owned(best-sacrilige I know-was a '95 Skyline GTS 25T.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys.Although the Skyline was a great car,I can't imagine I'd have bought one with anywhere near the mileage my Aero's done.
Can I just say one of the factors that swung it for me when deciding to buy a Saab was the open,enthusiastic and shock,horror honest attitude
of sellers and dealers alike.Giles at Abbots was
particularly helpful in giving me a run down on the car's history.The brakes(or lack of them!)take
some getting used to as does the arrangement of the wiper stalk but it all adds to the character.
Can't wait to open it up in France this summer!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately not this year Jez.My in-laws have a place in the Dordogne which I'm hoping to visit again.The spec of the car is:
Abbot stage 1 ECU
Abbot back box
Abbot suspension kit-lowered springs Koni dampers
17" Azev wheels(don't bother they corrode really quick!)
HID headlights-dipped only
Abbot motorsport discs/new Saab pads-this might explain the poor performance!
I don't know if it's an idiosyncracy of the Abbot ECU but I find trickling in traffic hard work-you can't leave the car in first at idle to do it's thing-it kangaroos like mad.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My car does not kangeroo, so it may be a problem elsewhere. Sounds as though you need to change the brake pads. Buy a Speedparts front strut brace at some point; it makes a big difference to the handling. Also, buy a JT 3" downpipe - this will make a bigger difference to the performance than any backbox. Add a sports filter too. All cheap upgrades (unusual!).

I'm off to the Dordogne for a week and then return via Le Mans for the 24hr.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jez,
I'm going to replace all the discs/pads-still to decide which ones as there's no end of recommendations on here(the grooves in the front discs are flush with the face of the discs!)
Enjoy France-hopefully I'll make Le Mans next year.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You might want to just change the pads first. Don't worry about grooves - Brembo disks don't have any and they are amongst the best for Saabs.

If you do want to splash out a little more, but not break the bank, contact Godspeed brakes. They do 4 pot caliper kits from around £600. 325mm Brembos with grooved disks, alloy bells & pads are just £850 and there is no VAT.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Originally posted by Nige:
[qb]Unfortunately not this year Jez.My in-laws have a place in the Dordogne which I'm hoping to visit again.The spec of the car is:
Abbot stage 1 ECU
Abbot back box
Abbot suspension kit-lowered springs Koni dampers
17" Azev wheels(don't bother they corrode really quick!)
HID headlights-dipped only
Abbot motorsport discs/new Saab pads-this might explain the poor performance!
I don't know if it's an idiosyncracy of the Abbot ECU but I find trickling in traffic hard work-you can't leave the car in first at idle to do it's thing-it kangaroos like mad. [/qb][/b]
I remember seeing that car on eBay - and thinking then that it was a rather nice motor. Have a search through the archives, you'll see we all had a discussion about your new car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.