Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hav'nt used my AERO over the winter (last 6 months)other than to manouvre it on/off the drive 3 or 4 times.

Went to start it last Monday and it would'nt.
So far I've
1. Got a new battery (super heavy duty)
2. Put in new plugs (NGK of course - old ones very dirty and did smell of petrol)
3. Put 2 fresh gallons of fuel into the almost empty tank
4. Swopped DI cartridge with wifes 9000, mine worked fine on wife's 9000, but my car still would'nt start.

Car turns over at about the right speed, old plugs smell of petrol so fuel should be getting through ?????.

I've probably had 20+ goes at starting it and I'm off to study haynes manual tonight, but have any of you got any ideas ??

Car used to start 1st time every time and does'nt have any type of imobaliser fitted.

Cheers

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just a beginner, but I would have to suspect lack of fuel ?

Injectors okay ?

Someone with more knowledge will be along, after doing my head gasket I will take this forum over haynes any day.

Haggag01

As for an Aero
sitting on the drive for 6 mnths, she is probably just teaching you a lesson.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just to check the fuel bit again you could squirt a bit of carburettor cleaner into the throttle body whilst cranking the engine. When my fuel pump failed the RAC man did this and the engine ran briefly to show it was a fuel fault. When cranking, the rev counter showed slight movement which he said showed the crank position sensor was ok.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Leave the car standing for a while then turn the ignition key to the point just before the starter motor kicks in (sorry there is probably a better way of saying all that
). Listen carefully for a sound I can only describe as a "hummm" from the rear of the car (where the fuel tank is)

This is the sound of the fuel pump putting pressure into the system. If you hear the "humm" then look elsewhere.

If you cannot hear the "humm" check the fuel pump fuse (in the glovebox fuseholder), if it seems to be OK you could try what I did. The Haynes manual describes removing fuses and bridging terminals using a wire to run the fuel pump. You can try this without going to the trouble of disconnecting fuel lines. If you hear a "humm" then the fault may be with the fuel pump relay. This is located in a holder behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
Thanks for all your suggestions,
1. Yes the rev counter does try and register when you attempt a start.
2. I can't hear the fuel pump humming when you attempt a start, but then I can't when I start my wife's CSE which starts fine. With the CSE running I can then hear the "Hmmmmm"
3. I've checked all the fuses - all were OK

I did'nt try the carburettor cleaner.

Does anyone have any more ideas ???

The funny thing is I have driven the car on/off the drive over the 6 months of non-use and it started fine. Also if the fuel has gone off (I've not started my motorbike for over a year and it still started 5th or 6th attempt) surely during a start, one of the cylinders would at least try to fire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
AS an idea you might have "bore wash" which is where unburnt petrol washes away the oil between piston rings and bore.Remove your spark plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders then re-fit the plugs.
Also if there is an excess of fuel in the plenum chamber then the engine will flood quite quickly.because the engine draws in the fuel when starting to crank then you have the fuel from the injectors as well(what happens is the engine wont start so you stop cranking the engine and injectors stop and fuel remains in the plenum).You could also remove the fuel pump fuse this will prevent flooding and if the engine tries to start then you know that your on the right track.I deal with many flooded engines each and every week and this usually gets it started.(the 4th emergency service and all that).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi should introduce myself and my vehicle....
From berkshire nearly 40
and a road side breakdown chappie, have been looking at this site for a little while after purchasing a 9000 cde my90.What a car leather trim,air con etc..
major history including all chains and guides replaced etc at 90k..non turbo but none the less
off of e-bay for less than £300 and so far not had to touch it
looking foreward to much trading of info and general chit chat Thanks
Col

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Do the Trionic5 versions of the 9000 act the same as the Trionic7 9-5? Namely that when cranking the engine, fuel supply is cut off if you open the throttle fully. Just a Saab quirk to allow a flooded engine to vent out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.