Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may have read on another thread, my Aero is with Ken Jones having a box overhaul and clutch etc. As mine doesn't have the ill fated traction control, I am considering having an LSD fitted while the box is off. Has anyone had an LSD fitted and if so as it worth the extra 800 odd quid plus vat. Ken has a pokey 2.3 with both TCS and LSD that I've been a passenger in and at T junctions you can just floor it and it bites !! I just sit there in mine looking a t*@t with the light wheel spinning .I really can't afford it but the box is off and now is the time to do it. Help with advice/comments please

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think I've seen the light!

Dont worry about the car its the easy bit - Keepin the missus happy is the difficult bit.

I want an LSD too, its a lot of wedge but its probably what it needs to really lay down the available power.

I was talking to Patrick at Alresford's today ('91 Carly in for full service) he reckoned that about 190 bhp was the limit for 'natural' traction in any standard 9k given age and associated deterioration. <G>.

Basically anything over that is too powerful for the setup.

I enjoyed the power of the Carly for a week, now its a pain to get the power down in hard driving, everything goes lighter than I would like and you lose a certain amount of feedback.

As this is going to be a trackday, holiday, sunny day toy I'm seriously going to have to do the LSD eventually if I ever want to *know* it is truly sorted.

Bushes and mounts all round first, wheels and tyres second, LSD third and more power Fourth.

Cheers,

DD

DD

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Brakes brakes brakes brakes brakes brakes.

Yes, suspension 1st, but THEN BRAKES!!! Being able to load up the front end into sharp corners makes a MASSIVE difference.

... oh yes BRAKES!!

You don't need to uprate calipers (and yer insurance premium to boot) just uprated pads and discs.

I have driven a CS Carly with LSD and 17" Azev's, it did hold the road very nicely. But putting the Trent Saab stage 2 jobs on my Carly was the best thing ever

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jason,

Yes indeed BRAKES! I forgot (how could I?) I have NOBRAKES! (or at least not enough.)

I did forget as I have E.mailed Trents today to see if they sell the Grey Iron discs on there own. I like to use EBC redstuff pads and I've got used to the heat cycling you get from them.

They aren't great to start with but on trackdays you heat em up quick, also I've noticed that engine braking doesnt have as much impact as an NA car.

I'm new to Turbo and am still getting used to the power charecteristics, I seem to be braking A LOT.

DD

(Sorry for Hi- jacking the LSD post)

I still want one ..... Aha Mastercard! Doh.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I didn't go for it in the end. Having had to have a new turbo, then clutch and gearbox overhaul all within the last 3 weeks, I really couldn't stretch to the extra grand I just know that I am going to regret this long term though....
Many thanks to Ken Jones in Rugby for sorting it all out to his usuall excellent standard.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
/saabforum/images/graemlins/mad.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/frown.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/mad.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/frown.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/mad.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/frown.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/mad.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts