Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To clarify this, the brakes just take more effort then expected. I've lived with this for years, so MOT's aren't a problem, but having purchased a anni 9000 recently the brakes on that are excellent, althogh the system is diffent, it runs a vacuum servo, where as the Aero has a hydraulic pump. I've searched the archives but can only come across a possible failure of the accumalator, which is expensive to buy and try, any ideas or shouls I except they are the norm...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd have to agree with you-as standard i think they're atrocious.The best comparison I can think of was my old man's 1990 VW Polo "breadvan" that had no servo.I find my '96 Aero is impossible to lock up,even in the wet.I didn't realise it had no servo-I thought a hydraulic pump was to allow the ABS computer to pulse the brakes.When I cleaned the engine the other day I saw what I assumed was a servo on the passenger's side.If this is indeed what it is,it probably doesn't help one iota having the servo so far from the brake pedal,necessitating no end of linkages/bell cranks etc.I'm presently scraping the money together to uprate them-still to decide whether to go for bigger discs/calipers.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I feel sure the cars do have a vacuum servo. The only change I know of is that MY94 onwards get an electric vacuum pump to augment the normal engine vacuum function. This is because a turbo charged engine is running boost rather than vacuum for a lot of the time, so you can find yourself without much vacuum assistance from time to time.

There's been much discussion about brakes here. Most people go for Brembo or similar grey iron discs and Mintex M1144 or Ferodo DS2500 pads. A great improvement but not perfect.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
yep ..
they are often not very good at all
I have tried a few things like
tarox multigroove discs (a bit better but not much and not worth the investment imho)
I went for a godspeed big brake conversion with 325 mm discs and had a few problems but probably worth the money if you have larger wheels
otherwise the brembo's or black diamond discs from elkparts..coupled with the better pads mintex 1144 or ferodo's ds 2500 iirc...also pagid pads ....

btw the mintex ones squeel like a stuck pig ..

·
Registered
276 Posts
The brakes on my M95 Aero are pants too!

I've gone the Brembo/ Ferodo route which has improved things but still needs a big shove to get them working. The muscles developing on my right leg will soon be balanced by those on my left leg when I have a Sachs comp clutch fitted...that's another story...

Try driving my Aero followed by the girlfriend's 93SS Aero...the brakes nearly put me through the screen!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your input, the concensus is they are pants, at least we all agree.

I have gone down the Ferodo route and they are better, but still need the effort...

As for them having a vacuum servo see this link, it details a Saaber removing his braking system and you can cleary see no vacuum servo, even the good old Haynes manual states no Vacuum servo.
http://saab.red9k.com/abs.html. Also you will not find a vacuum pipe running from the inlet manifold, it's blanked off.

Maybe a solution is to install the brake system from a more modern 9000 as per my 97 anni, I might get around to this, or at very least research it

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I have had experience of cheap brake discs on two 9000s (once should have taught me the lesson). These can make the brakes feel like they've been oiled.

I now only use Brembo replacements (available cheaply - I get mine from German and Swedish because they're local). Nothing special - they're just the standard replacement part from Brembo. Also only genuine Saab pads (not too expansive if you don't buy them from Saab), unless you're going to go for a sport compound.

Early ABS systems had no servo, just the electric pump and accumulator. The later type has a vacuum servo. I don't know when the changeover occurred. I know my 1990 9000 CD had the old system and my 1995 CSE has the new system.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I got some Mitex C-tech racing pads to use on my Aero disks, but the do squeal loads, I won't be getting them again.

I think they are heating my disks up too much as my disks seem to be getting too hot and now have a blue tint to them - should I replace them?
Mark

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Unfortunately the older ABS systems are poo.

I borrowed a bog standard 2.0i CD while mine was being "converted for maximum low-barrier clearance" and the brakes on that were far better than the ABS system on the CD. The Carly I had before was even worse than the CD, when I went from my 9000S to the Carly, a few times I braked too late for junctions and ended up straddling the dashed lines!!!
In my opnion the best thing to do, as others have said is to go for uprated discs and pads. Also, change the brake fluid fairly frequently, it's pretty cheap and fairly easy to and is the best way to get improved braking response.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
[qb] 

I think they are heating my disks up too much as my disks seem to be getting too hot and now have a blue tint to them - should I replace them?          
Mark
     [/qb][/b]
You mean you are now using them properly

The instrctions for my pads was bed them in until the disks are properly blue.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.